LED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Triggersgalore

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok this is probably a stupid question but my buddy gets regular LED lights wholesale (not aquarium lights) I have a 250 gallon FOWLR and I really wanna do a reef but lighting is sooo expensive so I was wondering if these lights would work. Any help would be great thanks.

What type of lights are they ? How many watts are each LED? What are the optics, brand etc.

Ebay has great LEDs that are affordable. I got 2 units (120W dimmable white/blue 3w cree 120* optics) for less than $300.

1 watt LEDs aren't going to cut it for a reef.....regardless of how many you have. Check out the taotronics LEDs if your looking for a good deal. There's a long thread about those fixtures here on AA.

Ya screw it I'm just gonna spend the money and do it the right way! Haha thanks for the help.

1 watt LEDs aren't going to cut it for a reef.....regardless of how many you have. Check out the taotronics LEDs if your looking for a good deal. There's a long thread about those fixtures here on AA.

I tested PAR on a 120 watt Chinese fixture using 120 1watt emitters and another panel with 60 2watt emitters. I got the same PAR readings at 12". Number of emitters doesn't matter as much as the make of them. Some, like Cree are more efficient, so my Cree equipt 90 watt fixture puts out as much if not a bit more PAR than my 120 watt Chinese fixtures that uses Bridgelux parts.

I'm just saying I grew a lot of coral under the old 1watt per led fixtures.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom