Light timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaggydoo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have not been able to find a timer switch that has a 3-prong (grounded) outlet that will work with my light fixture plug. All of the ones I have seen are of the 2-prong variety. I'm setting up a planted tank and want to be able to monitor the amount of time the tank is lit. Ideas or sources anyone?

My girlfriend got me a two prong one that didn't work well and ended up dying. Bump up because I have the same question. I'd like to get a new one thats good and isn't so big that it covers other outlets.

I bought a cheapy 2 prong one and then a 3 prong adapter for it. It plugs into the timer so you can hook a three prong cord into it. Look near the timers/electrical cords for the adapters.

Go to CVS and look in the lighting section. You can get a grounded (heavy duty) digital timer with battery backup and all that good stuff, for about $9. They're rated to ~600w if I remeber correctly, and have many many on/off programs, as well as a calendar so you can set it to turn on and off at different times during different days of the week.

I have a few of them, I set them the first day and they've gone through multiple power outages and all that good stuff, and they still work exactly as I set them on day 1. The backup battery is a rechargeable that charges whenever the power is on, so you don't need to worry about changing batteries.

They may sound complicated, but they'll do regular on/off at the same time everyday with about 5 mins of programming.

I highly recommend them.

If you want an analog peg timer, check out the ones made by Intermatic. You can find them at home depot, CVS, garden stores, etc.

I think the digital is cheaper though, since they aren't name-brand.

Good luck!

Thanks for the quick replies everybody! Something like the Marineland timer is exactly what I'm looking for, but I may check out what Home Depot has too. Unfortunately, the closest one is 1.5 hours away in Idaho Falls...

Back
Top Bottom