Light upsetting fish??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sazzles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

Here is the background on the tank. It's a 10g, started with 2 tetra glofish about 2 months ago, added another 3 about a month ago. The tank has a fluval c2 filter (up to 30g) and it has an ammonia remover in with the carbon. I do water changes once a week with a gravel pump (not sure if correct term) between 10 -25% each time.

I have owned several freshwater tanks before very successfully, but they have been much larger. We just wanted a small tank for the bedroom, and my husband wanted to try glofish, so we bought a 10g glofish branded tank (but replacing the tetra whisper filter it came with)

Stupidly trusting that this would be big enough for glofish, but I have now read they should be in a 20g tank! It frustrates me that they sell all these glofish tanks, the largest being 10g when they shouldn't be in tanks that small. However, the fish have seemed pretty happy up until now.

So my problem? We bought a new tv a short time ago, and there was probably a bit of noise, possible movement of the water in the tank because of moving furniture slightly (wooden floorboards) but it was not for long, and certainly not very disruptive in my eyes

Anyway, the glofish tank came with a blue light, which is on during the day, and off at night. The light was on when we moved the TV. Maybe an hour or so later I came back into the room to find all 5 fish hovering near the bottom of the tank, all in one corner.

I was really upset that I hadn't thought about the poor fish, and turned off the light to see if that reduced the stress. It did, they returned to normal.

Next morning I turned the light on, fed them and they seemed fine. An hour later same problem. I switched off the light, and they returned to normal again. This time I left the light off for a few days and everything seems fine.

Tried the light again today, fed them without problem, but within the hour they were all at the bottom huddled together.

It's clearly the light causing this issue, but for the first 2 months it didn't happen! Does anyone have any ideas? I always thought it was beneficial for fish to have light and dark times?

I don't know what to do! I tried searching for people with similar issues but couldn't find anything! Help!!? :blink:

Hi,

Could moving the TV around mean they are seeing the reflection of something?

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think this is the issue. When the tank light is off the fish are fine, regardless of if the TV is on or off. The new tv is also in the exact same spot as the old one.

I've been leaving the tank light off since this happened, and I tried it again yesterday. As soon as I switched the light on they slowly swam deeper into the tank until the were swimming near the bottom. It took less than a few minutes!

Switched it off and they go back to normal.

I just don't know how to correct this, I always believed fish needed the light on for part of the day for their health.... And now the tank is so dark and gloomy all the time!

Maybe they are looking for the remote?

I'd try leaving the light on and they should adjust. I've found that with mine that they get used to it again.

Maybe they are looking for the remote?

I'd try leaving the light on and they should adjust. I've found that with mine that they get used to it again.

Aaaaah! So that's what they are doing :lol:

Coincidently that's what I've been trying today, but so far I've had about 6 hours of miserable looking fish at the bottom of the tank! They did still eat at feeding time but seemed really reluctant to go to the surface.... Not their usual feeding frenzy.

I appreciate your advice!

Thanks

Sorry I can't offer more. When I picked up the new lights the bristlenose catfish stayed in the shadows for a bit but eventually came out after a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom