Lightbulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
If i was looking for a low light lightbulb for say.. so a BGK wouldnt be so shy during the day all the time.. or would at least come out during the night.. what would i be looking for? Could i just use a standard colored tube bulb like blue or red or something? It gives off light but not strong light. What should i do?

Have you considered adding a small set of moonlight LED lights that turn on at night after your daytime lights turn off? They will add a very small amount of light, basically simulating the light you would see from the moon shining down into the water, but it should be just enough light so that you can observe fish that are nocturnal. I have two small sets of them on my 55 gallon tank, one for each side, and they are very nice for the evening and night when my lights are off so that I can see watch my catfish and plecos.

Thats a GREAT IDEA!! I never thought of that!! Awesome. Which ones do you have though because i also have a 55gallon fish tank so maybe i could get the same ones you've got. Care to share? :)

Well, mine actually came built into the light fixtures I bought for my 55 gallon tank, which were a bit pricey so I'm not sure if you want to upgrade your entire lighting setup just to add two little LED lights, unless you already have or plan on having a bunch of medium-high light plants in your tank. If that's the case, let me know and I'll give you a link to the light fixtures I have.

Assuming you don't care about all of that extra crap, and you just want to add some LEDs to your current light fixture(s). If that's the case, before I started having live plants in my tank, and I just had some low light fixtures that came with my tank, I purchased these little LED lights that can either be attached to the inside of your lighting hood by drilling two small holes in the hood itself and screwing the LED fixture into it to mount it (it comes with screws and all that), or by using double-sided adhesive tape if you are less handy or less comfortable with drilling holes in your stuff.

Here's a link to the ones I used before I got all new light fixtures that came with LEDs:
Extreme Moonlight LED Tubes | LED Moon Light Simulators | Lighting Systems | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com

And if you aren't satisfied with those ones or you're looking for something bigger/smaller, or a different color, here are some links to a whole bunch of different LED lighting systems:
LED Lights, Lighting | Pet Solutions
LED Moon Light Simulators
Fish & Aquarium Supplies: LED Lights
Aquarium Moon Lighting at Big Al's Online

Hopefully you can find something that will work for you on one of those sites. Let me know if you have any more questions.

No problem :) Let me know what you end up going with and take some pictures once you have it all set up! I think tanks look so cool at night when you have LED lighting. If you have any other questions along the way, feel free to post and I'll try to help you out.

I surely will take pictures when i set it up. Thanks again for the help.

Back
Top Bottom