Lighting build in progress (PICS) for 120 FOWLR/Reef(later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A little more progress, I got 1 (T5HO) of the three ballasts (MH250 on back order) I ordered from Ballast Wise + the bulbs from DRs F & S. Got it installed, wired up then fired it up. Here are a few pics. I didn't realize how bright the T5's are, I cant wait to get the MH's online, it should be interesting.

Fixture wiring 50% complete----------------------Ballast Wise Ballast
Fixture w:ballast.jpgLighting Ballast.jpg

Test run in hood------------------------------------Test on tank
Pretty bright.jpgTank lit.jpg

Now I'm off to send Lucy from Ballast Wise an email to find out when I'm going to get the MH ballasts I ordered, after all they already billed my account.

Looks good. My only suggestion is try to mount the ballasts outside the canopy. You will have enough heat being generated by the bulbs alone. You don't want to have to deal with the extra heat from the ballasts if you can avoid it. I have my VHO ballasts mounted under my stand and my MH ballasts in the basement.

Thanks Larry. I am going to start with the ballasts on top and am going to install a fan specifically to cool them. The canopy I'm building is going to have an open top so I'm not anticipating any severe heat problems. I'm in the process of taking temp readings using a fluke DMM with thermal sensor attachment. As of now the T5HO portion has been running over night (The meter shut off, need to change the settings) and am able to hold my hand on the ballast, water temp also remained stable as well. If they do present an issue then I will relocate them, i will only find this out when I get the MH ballasts (end of this month:() Thanks for the advice.

Update on Lighting Build

Hi guys, I still only have the T5's (They are 13" above the water)working and am still waiting for the MH ballasts. Here are some pics with lighting rack physically in the canopy I built for My 120. Can you tell from the photo if there is enough light some corals with just the T5's? I hope it's acceptable, I'm pleased with it. I will update again when I get the MH's online.:D

T5-HOOD-2.jpgT5Lighting-in-hood.jpgT5-Full.jpg

Great l setup. I think that you have enough to light up the world!! Absolutely fantastic!!!!
Thanks Spikey, I wanted to make sure I was setup for down the road, I wonder what it's going to look like when I get the MH's online.

Keith, really nice work on the tank. You are going to laugh when you turn the mh lamps on for the first time. I know it looks like there is a lot of light now.. Just wait!

It sure looks like you have done your homework. I think that as mentioned previously, placing the ballasts outside the canopy (if it's an option) may make them last a little longer and help cut down the temperature in the canopy too.

Did you go with magnetic ballasts, or electronic ballasts?

You don't really think you are going to be able to wait on the corals, do you?

Thanks Joe. I have to tell you the lighting was the most difficult and frustrating thing I've encountered in a long time, too many options and opinions on what's best and what works. Building the fixture was the easy part once i figured out what I needed.
I went with electronic ballasts, Once i get them and run them for a while, If they are creating too much heat then I'll relocate them (Change order). My goal is to keep everything in one spot for easy maintenance and removal, as of now with the T5HO ballast there is no problem with heat.
I'll see how long it takes me to get the confidence in my ability to handle the tank before i think about corals plus the tank has to mature yet. It is tempting though. When I get the ballasts and the MH's fired up I'll post some pics.

I agree about the lighting confusion. It is by far the most frustrating decision about this hobby. I still struggle over what lamps I should use.
The coral bug is a strong one. Can't stop once you get started that's for sure.

I agree about the lighting confusion. It is by far the most frustrating decision about this hobby. I still struggle over what lamps I should use.
The coral bug is a strong one. Can't stop once you get started that's for sure.
Thanks for the warning.

You guys are sooooooooooo funny. LOL. The sad part is you're right, but i think it has my daughter more than me, we're trying to keep from mommy. Shhhhhhh

Back
Top Bottom