Lighting Ideas For a 44g Corner Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I need some ideas on how to change my lighting on my 44 gallon corner pentagon tank so that I can have a planted tank!! Right now it holds a 18" 10,000K 120V 15W fluorescent bulb, I've been told that really isn't enough for plants, SO, does anyone know of any options to give me enough light for plants? It has a spot for another fixture of the same thing... so I don't know if maybe that might be an option? I appreciate all the help! Thank you!

Well if you're in it for the long haul LEDs would be a good choice. If you're a diy'er or know someone who knows electronics/wiring a custom made light fixture will get enough light to all areas of your tank. Use the search tool for LED and you will find lot's of info on them. Check out Ziggy's LED light that he built in this thread. just to give you an idea. LEDs are a bit expensive in the beginning but you will save a lot in energy and will probably never have to change the bulb.

Tall tanks usually need T5s at least T5NO or T5HO (high output). I'd try for at least 80-100 watts over your tank. LEDs are tricky for plants...still figuring out which ones work, but they are a viable option.

You can also look at using CFLs as additional lighting. But for sure swap out your fixture. A single T8 would have a tough time growing stuff in your tank :(

If you go High Light, you'll need pressurized C02 to avoid an algae farm.

Enjoy the adventure. Other forums for inspiration, The Planted Tank and Aquatic Plant Central. ;)

Well if you're in it for the long haul LEDs would be a good choice. If you're a diy'er or know someone who knows electronics/wiring a custom made light fixture will get enough light to all areas of your tank. Use the search tool for LED and you will find lot's of info on them. Check out Ziggy's LED light that he built in this thread. just to give you an idea. LEDs are a bit expensive in the beginning but you will save a lot in energy and will probably never have to change the bulb.

I wouldn't know where to begin! :) lol I wouldn't know the first thing to prepare to do something like my own light system... although it feels like that might be my only chance, but I don't know how I'd do something like that on my tank... :-/ lol Ziggy's was awesome though.. I only wish I was that crafty!! I wonder if I could take my light fixture, strip it out and use it for LED's? Hmmm...

Tall tanks usually need T5s at least T5NO or T5HO (high output). I'd try for at least 80-100 watts over your tank. LEDs are tricky for plants...still figuring out which ones work, but they are a viable option.

You can also look at using CFLs as additional lighting. But for sure swap out your fixture. A single T8 would have a tough time growing stuff in your tank :(

If you go High Light, you'll need pressurized C02 to avoid an algae farm.

Enjoy the adventure. Other forums for inspiration, The Planted Tank and Aquatic Plant Central. ;)

I definitely don't want to worry about Co2 for the tank, but I would like to grow some low light maybe even medium light plants... I'm happy with low light, but I'd like to expand my options from just anubias and java fern! :)

Back
Top Bottom