Lighting - LED vs T5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mlewis207

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone tired / or currently using the new marineland LED lighting system?

65gal reef.
multiple mushrooms
green plate
fuji leather
kenya trees (its a fricken forest)
2 good sized green hammerheads
1 tiny green hammerhead

I'm currently useing CF at a combined 192w (1 x 96 day and 1 x 92 actinic) and I want to upgrade to either T5 or the LED's. ATM Im leaning towards the T5 since I know very little bout the LEDs.

Link for the LED's
Reef Aquarium Lighting & LED Lights: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System

Link for T5's that I'm leaning towards
Aquarium Lighting T5 Fluorescent Light Fixture: AquaticLife Six Lamp T5 HO Light Fixture

So anyone have any imput on these?

Thanks

I would say no to the LED's you linked to. It is using 1w leds and other units are coming out withs 3w. Also they have a 3 way swich with only one power core so you won't be able to put it on different timers. Which is a big thing for me. IMO

Kinda what I thought in reguards to the multiple power cords for switching.
as for watts.. 1watt.. 200 watts.. if the lumes output is the same it shouldn't matter but that is the concern.. are all them led's putting out the same light <lumes> output as say a 200 plus watt T5.
Mairneland sent me a email w/ a bunch of info but it doesn't have anything to compair it to. Just a bunch of graphs n such.

It's not about lumens. It's about PAR.
If you're really interested in LEDs, Evil over at nano-reefs knows a wholeee bunch. There are lots of LED success stories as well.
I *almost* used LEDs on my new 7.5g but I just didn't need that much power.

Back
Top Bottom