Lighting overkill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finatic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all:

I am looking at upgrading from my current lighting setup (in my profile) to a MH fixture. The fixture would have 2 x 250W (thinking 14K or 20K) and 2 x 110W VHO actinic sitting about 6in above a 55gal tank.

I am thinking if I upgrade to a 75gal, that this would still cover my lighting requirements.

My question for the experts here is, is this too much light for anything in my stock list in a 55gal tank?

Thanks in advance.

In my opinion, it is always better to over do something than under do something in this hobby.

For example: better to over skim than under skim, better to have more water flow than less flow, better to have stronger light, than weaker light, bigger tank than smaller tank etc etc... means more $$$ all the time.

The 2x250s with VHO actinics should be just fine over a 75gal. I suggest the 14K MH bulbs over the 20K.

Thanks lando.

Do you think this would be too much for a 55gal? I am going to upgrade early next yr, but saw a deal and wanted to pick one up and put it over my current setup.

Thanks.

Honestly, 2x175 would be plenty of light to keep just about anything you would want. However, 2x250 is not really "overkill".

I would probably put them up a little higher though to keep heat issues to a minimum unless you have a chiller or lots of air flow through fans.

angelscrx said:
I would probably put them up a little higher though to keep heat issues to a minimum unless you have a chiller or lots of air flow through fans.

Yeah, I thought about this last night as I was looking at my tank. I am now going to go for the hanging bracket option and put them about 18 - 24 inches off the top of the tank. I would imagine that distance shouldn't diminish much of the 250W HQI bulbs power to the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom