Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would a 156 watt (total) quad T5HO fixture on a tank that measures 36L X 18W X 24H be considered a high or medium light tank? Also, how do i do the calculation to figure out what my WPG is?

Definitely high... Most people would consider a 2 bulb T5HO fixture highlighting for any tank

According to Hoppy's chart it's "too high" unless you suspend it 12 inches above the tank, then it's "high". That's 36 inches from lights to substrate. You could tone it down a bit by using color enhancing bulbs but it would likely still be very high.

blert said:
According to Hoppy's chart it's "too high" unless you suspend it 12 inches above the tank. That's 36 inches from lights to substrate. You could tone it down a bit by using color enhancing bulbs but it would likely still be very high.

Do you mean too high like it would hurt plants?

maxwellag said:
Do you mean too high like it would hurt plants?

It just says "too high". Yes, I suppose it could hurt the plants as too much light will burn.

jetajockey said:
Another huge factor is the fixture brand/design as well as bulbs and their age. That par chart is made with some higher end fixtures rather than the most common and cheaper fixtures.

I agree. There are a lot of factors that affect the amount of light in the tank. For example, the position/quality of the reflectors.

jetajockey said:
Another huge factor is the fixture brand/design as well as bulbs and their age. That par chart is made with some higher end fixtures rather than the most common and cheaper fixtures.

Its a "wave point" brand (apparently used for corals origionally). The bulbs are only 2 maybe 3 weeks old.

Edit: it has 2x 6500 and 2x 10000 bulbs

I've heard some good reviews for that brand but have never used it. If you already have the fixture then your next step is controlling the light intensity. If you don't plan to go heavy planted with co2 and all that, then you'll want to only run 2 bulbs (if you have that option), or raise the fixture up as needed. You can determine the 'sweet spot' for your setup just by fiddling with it. Start with the assumption that you have way too much light, so if you start having issues it's likely due to that and the adjustments to make would be to lower the intensity by turning off some of the bulbs or raising the fixture.

jetajockey said:
I've heard some good reviews for that brand but have never used it. If you already have the fixture then your next step is controlling the light intensity. If you don't plan to go heavy planted with co2 and all that, then you'll want to only run 2 bulbs (if you have that option), or raise the fixture up as needed. You can determine the 'sweet spot' for your setup just by fiddling with it. Start with the assumption that you have way too much light, so if you start having issues it's likely due to that and the adjustments to make would be to lower the intensity by turning off some of the bulbs or raising the fixture.

I do plan on having a pretty heavily planted tank. I'll look into fiddling with the bulbs first then i'll raise it if i have to. So far it seemsto be a good system, just insanely bright.

So i found out the two blue bulbs in my fixture were actinic bulbs. I removed only one to start with and there is already a ton of difference! My swords are turning green again, the dwarf sag and java fern have perked up! It really is amazing what effects just one light bulb can have.

Here are a few pics to show how big of a difference just taking out the one bulb made. My plants are happy now also! :)

Last edited:
Ok, new question...I'm starting to have an algea problem. I've started noticing it since I took out the 4th bulb from my fixture but I'm not entirely sure its related. The types of algea i'm noticing are: greenspot, hair, thread, and brown diatoms.

I'm using a combination of Flourite and small grain gravel as the substrate. I have put root tabs in for the swords. I was also dosing with Flourish 2X a week but have cut back. I'm also not running any sort of CO2 system yet. I'm in the process of cycling the tank right now so I haven't done any water changes yet. Could this be a result of being low on macro/micro nutrients?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks inadvance!

Back
Top Bottom