Lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a little 5 gallon Odyssea, in pretty sure it's still with the lighting it came with. It's an Odyssea PL 18w 50/50.
Not even sure what that is!
I'm just wanting to know if I should get a different watt, different color, etc.
here's what it's looking like..

And yes I'm aware the tanks to small for the Clark :(
Waiting to get a new one and move him.

Currently in my tank is:

Clark clown
Condy anemone (I don't think their going to pair, it's been almost a month now..)
2 zoa's
Brain coral
3 Kenya's (kind of 4, one just branched off)
Ricordia with a baby one attached to the same stick
Frogspawn (didn't know that they were aggressive until I got it home)
5 snails
Hermit crab

I'm still learning so any advice would e appreciated!!

Attachments

• image-485913868.jpg
    image-485913868.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2379246858.jpg
    image-2379246858.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 93
  • image-4180963377.jpg
    image-4180963377.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 92
  • image-3244281546.jpg
    image-3244281546.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1271534461.jpg
    image-1271534461.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2358759561.jpg
    image-2358759561.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 90
For one get rid of tbe Condy. They are nog clownfish compatable and will eat a fish if they get ahold of it. 2nd I would highly advise you get your lighting straightened out before adding anything else. I believe that light is a power compact, which are ok IMO. If you want to stick with softies/lps I highly reccomdend the ecoxotic ecopico led with 5 strips in it. If you want to grow sps which I would not advise for anyone who hasn't been in the hobby for a period of time, then try the reefbreeders par38 led. I have the ecopico led on my aqueon evolve 8 with 5 strips in it and have softies, lps, a montipora, cyphastrea, and pocilliopora(last three are sps corals). I would really reccomdend a bigger tank if you don't have any saltwater experience. 30g+ is a good starter size. Anything under 20g takes a ton of Matienance and commitance. If you don't want to be testing 3 times a week , topping off 1-3 times a day, and having a limited fish supply to pick from, then by all means try a pico tank. I will warn you it is ALOT of work to keep a healthy pico aquarium.

For one get rid of tbe Condy. They are nog clownfish compatable and will eat a fish if they get ahold of it. 2nd I would highly advise you get your lighting straightened out before adding anything else. I believe that light is a power compact, which are ok IMO. If you want to stick with softies/lps I highly reccomdend the ecoxotic ecopico led with 5 strips in it. If you want to grow sps which I would not advise for anyone who hasn't been in the hobby for a period of time, then try the reefbreeders par38 led. I have the ecopico led on my aqueon evolve 8 with 5 strips in it and have softies, lps, a montipora, cyphastrea, and pocilliopora(last three are sps corals). I would really reccomdend a bigger tank if you don't have any saltwater experience. 30g+ is a good starter size. Anything under 20g takes a ton of Matienance and commitance. If you don't want to be testing 3 times a week , topping off 1-3 times a day, and having a limited fish supply to pick from, then by all means try a pico tank. I will warn you it is ALOT of work to keep a healthy pico aquarium.

Yeah I heard condys are the most difficult to try and host. I do have a friend that has one that hosts 2 clowns though. I guess mine just sucks lol.
Ill check out those lights, I've been thinking led anyways!
And for fish, I don't really care to have any. Just a clown! I much more prefer to collect frags and watch them grow.
Soft though, already made a mistake with a hard coral. Luckily I got it to a friend quick enough and he got it back under control.

I do have a 19g freshwater in thinking about converting. Just need to upgrade a few things in it first.

Hello reefers!

Well i have a five gallon fluvial chi almost a year and yes it's a lot of work as everybody says here, you need a lot of time to keep it healthy, checking water parameters, cleaning the glass , keeping an eye to your livestock but if you have a lot of patience you can make it! Is a really nice tank by the way!!

I don't mean to be a bummer but 5g is to small for a clown. That 19 would be much better. Personally I think you should so the 19 and get the taotronics 120w Dimmable led fixture

Back
Top Bottom