Lighting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animalparamedic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I thought back in the day i read an article or post here that said how to choose lighting (bulb colors) and how long to keep each type of bulb on for during the day (or night). Please help - im thinking of starting a new FOWLR tank (55-75 gallons) and dont remember how long to let the white lights run for and how long to let the actinics run for. Also, do i need the actinics or the whites? Can i do one or the other, and how many hours should each run for... my current tank has actinics come on an hour before the whites - run the whole time the whites are on and then turn off an hour after the whites do (total about 8-10hours for actinics). Then i have lunar lights that run after that... Please help - i havent had to change my timers in forever and i feel stupid. Especially if im lighting my current tank the wrong way...

If you are doing a FOWLR tank than you dont need any special lighting. Kust regular flourecent will do. If you have a reef tank than that`s a horse of a different color.

melosu is right.. if its a FOWLR then you wont need special lighting, but if youre going to get them anyway i would say let the actinics run for 2 hours before the white lights and then lets them run for 2 hours longer after the white lights go out

animalparamedic said:
... my current tank has actinics come on an hour before the whites - run the whole time the whites are on and then turn off an hour after the whites do (total about 8-10hours for actinics). Then i have lunar lights that run after that... Please help - i havent had to change my timers in forever and i feel stupid. Especially if im lighting my current tank the wrong way...

I think your current tank's lighting schedule is just fine. No need to change if you're not having algae issues.

I agree, your lighting sounds good. Personally I run all my lights at the same time.

as I'm currently building my tank and am debating lighting....

I've never had to run two separate light types before, is there a special set up/light bar I need? I'm assuming not any old two light bar will run the lights separately so do I need two separate light bars or do some of the "fancier" ones allow independent control?

Lecithin,

If all depends on what you want to keep in your tank. For a FO or FOWLR your lighting needs are minimal. Any light fixture will do. If you want to add some light loving creatures (corals, clams) then you will need to increase the amount of light you have.

Back
Top Bottom