Lighting Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aadair22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am wanting to upgrade my lighting, but do not want metal halides due to the electric bill and bulb replacements. My main concern for lighting needs is clams.. I am DYING to have one! I was wondering if I got a 6 bulb T5 fixture if that would be enough.. If it isnt, I will just wait until I can afford an LED fixture. This is for a 55g tank

A 6 bulb T5 HO fixture should support a clam with no issues IMO depending on where its placed. I've seen clams under a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture.

You can always upgrade the bulbs to a higher quality brand like ATI.

If its not on your budget I honestly wouldn't worry about upgrading the lights.

Of course LED's are sick and support clams etc but think about before LEDs, what did people have? I've seen very very successful saltwater tanks with 6 bulb T5 HO fixtures. I will add a few on my friends did add some type of led or metal halide for shimmer effect.

Hope this helps!

Should be fine if it's high output, if not then I don't know. I have a Sunlight supply T5 HO 60" 6 bulb fixture over my 70 gallon (my lfs has this same light over their frag tank) and I can grow just about anything in there :).

Thanks for the input! I think my biggest concern is my electric bill.. I can deal with bulb replacements every few months, it's the month to month bill I'm worried about.

aadair22 said:
Thanks for the input! I think my biggest concern is my electric bill.. I can deal with bulb replacements every few months, it's the month to month bill I'm worried about.

Honestly I don't think you will see a huge increase with say LEDs, metal halides or T5's I mean if your running multiple lights, equipment etc then maybe.

Example. I have 3 tanks, my 75g had a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture, my other 2 tanks have LEDs. I also have power heads,heaters,pumps,wave maker,filters etc etc etc... I saw more of increase when using my AC then with all my equipment plugged in. I have the month to month comparison and it really doesn't have an impact.

I would venture to say it would probably be pronounced with bigger tanks, bigger equipment and more and more gadgets.

Convict2161 said:
Honestly I don't think you will see a huge increase with say LEDs, metal halides or T5's I mean if your running multiple lights, equipment etc then maybe.

Example. I have 3 tanks, my 75g had a 4 bulb T5 HO fixture, my other 2 tanks have LEDs. I also have power heads,heaters,pumps,wave maker,filters etc etc etc... I saw more of increase when using my AC then with all my equipment plugged in. I have the month to month comparison and it really doesn't have an impact.

I would venture to say it would probably be pronounced with bigger tanks, bigger equipment and more and more gadgets.

Did you get the LED's that you do yourself? Curious as to how hard they are to put together!

Convict2161 said:

Hmmm, thanks for the info! Makes me feel a bit more confident about running t5's

nikki_kaiser said:
Did you get the LED's that you do yourself? Curious as to how hard they are to put together!

Me? No... I have the AI SOL BLUE fixture with controller.

I found this site a while ago and am tempted to try them out.. I can't find much in the way of reviews on them, but what I have found is mixed.

http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-Quad-48-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56237.htm

I figure worst case scenario I lose a couple hundred bucks on them, best case they do what they are supposed to..

Anyone have any experience with them? Think it's worth the risk or just invest the money in a decent t5 fixture?

Haven't heard of them, if you really wanna do LED's there's better choices out there. You have to decide T5 or LED.

Convict2161 said:
Haven't heard of them, if you really wanna do LED's there's better choices out there. You have a 6 bulb T5 HO fixture right? If so IMO your fine. Save the money for corals and fish.

No I just have the two 12inch marineland singlebrights that came with the tank and SUCK.. That's why I was wondering if these LEDs are worth the risk or just get a T5 fixture

I bit the bullet and went with the Kessils. They really look awesome and pretty much put out no heat. The shimmer in the tank is very cool and while it took me a little longer to get because I wasn't planning on spending that much, I'm really happy that I waited now.

Ugh!! I just wrote a page and the app crashed!! In short. This is what I use, I have 1 on my bio cube 29 so you would need 2.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

They have some really nice T5 HO fixtures also. The thing is you really get a nice shimmer effect with T5's so it really comes down to preference.

Convict2161 said:
Ugh!! I just wrote a page and the app crashed!! In short. This is what I use, I have 1 on my bio cube 29 so you would need 2.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

They have some really nice T5 HO fixtures also. The thing is you really get a nice shimmer effect with T5's so it really comes down to preference.

Haha love it when the app crashes... Didn't see a price anywhere on the link..? I know the sol lights are nice though.

nikki_kaiser said:
I bit the bullet and went with the Kessils. They really look awesome and pretty much put out no heat. The shimmer in the tank is very cool and while it took me a little longer to get because I wasn't planning on spending that much, I'm really happy that I waited now.

I've looked at those ad like them a lot! If remember from your other posts you have a 55g? How many did you have to buy to cover the tank?

Man I wrote back twice with links and all and both times the app crashed. PM me if ya want. I'm afraid to try a 3rd.

Back
Top Bottom