Lionfish and Puffer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loxodonta51

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I added a 5 inch volitan lionfish about three weeks ago. This past week we added a 3 inch foxface and a 4 inch porcupine puffer. My lion instantly ambushed the puffer, starting to attack him, nip him occasionally, and hit him with his spines. The puffer at first ignored him, but today he did puff up once. The lion even went after the foxface twice, even though he had been ignoring him for three days.

I have a 135 gallon aquarium, plenty of live rock and hiding places, and all my water parameters are normal. I feed my lion off a stick and he has been getting enough food. Any suggestions? I am nervous about the puffer and am wondering if I should trade the lion out and hope for a more mild mannered one...

I think they are trying to set up territory. I have heard that if you can QT the aggressor and let the other fish establish their territory and them put them back it can help.

You can also try rescaping your tank.

If all else false, return/rehome the lionfish or some of your other fish.

for a week

I think they are trying to set up territory. I have heard that if you can QT the aggressor and let the other fish establish their territory and them put them back it can help.

If you do this, do it for a least a week and rearrange the tank. When I introduce a new fish I first Feed the other fish. Then put the new fish in under the cover of darkness. his gives the new fish time to find a good place to hide while the other fish are starting to wake up. Good luck!
:fish1:

Back
Top Bottom