Lionfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MichaelsLilGray

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Lionfish-neu.jpg

There are several very similar species of "volitans-like" Pterois: P. volitans, P. miles, P. russelii and the recently described P. andover. It's a little difficult to choose between these given the size of the specimen. However, I think I can see 14 pectoral rays (it's a little tricky at the top of the fin, as several rays are bunched together - or possibly one is abnormally branched), which would mean that it's either P. miles or P. volitans. The other two species typically have only 13 pectoral rays. If you have a photo that shows the pectoral rays a little better, that might be helpful.

Tony

Oops, I forgot about P. lunulata, which some researchers suggest might be the same as P. russelii (both lack spots on the caudal fin and the soft portions of the dorsal and anal fins). Like P. russelii, it has only 13 pectoral rays. Note that there are several other species in the genus, but these are easily distinguished from the P. volitans-like species.

Tony

I read somewhere that a peticular genus of lionfish gets to only around 6.1" long... i dont think a 29g will house a foot long lion =(

Back
Top Bottom