Live Rock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zidion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new tank and I am confused on one aspect of it. Everything I have read has said to cure the live rock. But if I am getting LR from a someone else tank, and my tank is brand new (nothing in it yet) do I still need to cure it? Or will it essentially do that during the cycling process?

No need to cure the rock if its a new tank. Curing is only done to prevent die off from the rock in yhe main tank causing a mini cycle or ammonia spike. If its coming dirrectly out of a tank that its been in awhile with proper lighting the rock is probably cured fully anyway.

So long as you are transfering an adequate amount of LR directly from someone's established tank you also most likely will not need to cycle the tank either.

So long as you are transfering an adequate amount of LR directly from someone's established tank you also most likely will not need to cycle the tank either.

What would an adequate amount be?

I have a 29g. Was getting 30lbs of live sand, and then maybe 27lbs of dry rock and 3lbs of live rock.

What would an adequate amount be?

I have a 29g. Was getting 30lbs of live sand, and then maybe 27lbs of dry rock and 3lbs of live rock.

An adequate amount would be about 1 pound per gallon of water. With only 3 pounds of live rock, you will need to cycle the tank.

Back
Top Bottom