Livebearers Acting Funny After General Cure Treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggs180

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been noticing something strange with my Platys and Swordtails the past 3 or so days. I have 3 Female Platys, a female Swordtail-platy hybrid of some sort, a male swordtail, and a male platy. In addition to Rams/Gourami/Rasboras/Pleco.

I had just done treating General Cure in the tank because of Internal parasites (white stringy poop). After this was treated, all of my livebearers have been acting strange. My 2 Red Wag Platys act lethargic, floating in dark areas underneath my amazonsword, or inside my Driftwood cave. My Male Swordtail acts very lethargic, then gets a burst of energy and darts around the tank for a while (occasional flashing on leaves which gets me worried), then back to being lethargic and sitting at the bottom in the driftwood cave. My Male Platy and my Female Sword-tail hybrid seem the most normal

I had an ick infestation about 2 months ago, and for the past week and a half have been dipping the fish food in Garlic (Garlic Guard) and just finished a General Cure treatment. one of my Female Platys (dont know which one) just gave birth, and I recovered 2 Fry which are acting normal. Ca anybody tell me what could possibly be wrong? or am i just overreacting.

Lethargy is, unfortunately, common in a number of illnesses. It would be hard to diagnose it on just that.

Is the poop still bad? Does it have good texture, color, etc?

The thing about many parasites that affect fecal color is that they are active in the gut/intestines/whathaveyou. By dosing the water column, you can effectively treat external parasites, but internal parasites only get a lesser dose. If symptoms persist or return, consider investing in some medicated flakes.

I've been looking at their poop, and have not seen any of the white stringy poop. I've been searching for medicated flakes, but to no avail. I've been feeding laced-garlic, and I guess will have to continue to do so.

One of my Red Wag Platys just died. I decided to do some minor dissecting. Its belly was a bit large, but when i poked it with some tweezers, it was very soft, almost as if there was nothing inside of its belly. Its anus looked a little white as well. I'm presuming its Bloat of some sort. Either this platy or one of my other two gave birth a few days ago, so that might have something to do with it.

Back
Top Bottom