Lobstercide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhDBound

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just added a handful of Hermit Crabs to my 75 Gal salt tank. The hermits murdered and ate my lobster :( . I am devastated. Is there anything I should know about these shelled avengers? I also have a banded coral. I have a divider in there to protect him. Should I can the hermits and try snail? Can the snail hurt the shrimp. I am a new saltwater aquarist.

Sorry to hear about your lobster. However, I do not think it was the hermits that killed it. They were just cleaning up the mess. That is what they do. I have arond fourty hermits in my 72 gal reef and they do not touch a thing...unless it dies. Then they go to work. I would keep them and also throw in some snails. Together they make a great "clean-up" crew. If you do not have a buch of algea start with six and see how it goes. Good luck...Lando

what kind of hermit is it, i know the big hermit will eat fish or anything they could get their claws on in the dark, they will actually gain up on one target and eat him at night.

Back
Top Bottom