Looking for help consolidating tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

celexaprozac

Aquarium Advice Newbie
As title says honestly, I've got a lot of fish in my care, a lot of tanks, and not enough space still.

Here is the full roster of fish in my care;
18x male endlers/lyretail hybrids
12x female endlers/lyretail hybrids
6x fry endlers/lyretail hybrid
3x platinum rice fish
3x golden mystery snails
1x ghost shrimp
2x otocinclus
1x opaline gourami
1x fire gourami
1x powder blue gourami
5x black kuhli loaches
4x golden dojo loaches
1x rainbow shark

1x red tail shark

4x zebra danios
4x golden wonder killifish

6x neon tetras
1x clown loach
1x clown pleco

I've got a 20L, a 20T, 2x 1 gals, a 6.5 and a 5.5 rimless tank, all tanks are planted. I have a 60 gallon tank that measures on the taller side HOWEVER it is currently needs repairs and I have it slated for sometime in the next week as it is currently leaking, though any plans I would like to make would ideally involve this tank.

Troublemakers;
The rainbow shark harasses the red tail shark (shocker, i know), as informed by the family member I acquired them from, they have since been separated.

The killifish can't cohabitate with anything remotely smaller than them, they will harass and eat them. The killifish cannot cohabitate with the golden dojo loaches in a 20L, they will fin nip. Same for the danios. However they did get along surprisingly well with the blue powder gourami in the 6.5 when I housed them in there previously with a bunch of fake plants and things to obstruct line of sight.

The "I refuse to deal with the chaos this will cause" list

The fry need to be in their own tank until they are of appropriate size, I have them in a 1 gallon right now with some plants.

I refuse to mix the male and female guppies, I acquired them from someone who had dumped them at my local shop in a quantity exceeding 1,000 because they bred so rampantly that even his breeding setup was unable to handle the gross number of them.

The roster and current housing situation for all fish

20T
Loaches, dojo, kuhli, and clown alike.

Powder blue gourami
zebra danios
female guppies
1x mystery snail

20L
Opaline Gourami
Fire Gourami
Golden Wonder killifish
Clown Pleco
Red-tail shark
NOTE:
The fire gourami and the opaline gourami do well together in their 20L tank right now shockingly enough.

6.5G

Rainbow shark (is an ******* and in timeout on my desk)
NOTE: also keeps slamming himself into the roof to escape, tested ammonia and other levels, treated accordingly but will continue to monitor

5.5G
platinum rice fish
male guppies
otocinclus
2x mystery snails
ghost shrimp

1G triangle
6x hybrid fry

1G hexagon
unknown amount of trumpet snails, couldnt bring myself to kill them

a random tupperware
my neon tetras currently undergoing quarantine for ich, the fry were unexpected and took over the 1G i usually quarantine fish in
they were initially in the 20T and will return there once both tanks are properly treated as I found ich in the 20T despite my quick actions to remove the affected fish.

I have a 20L currently being cycled and setup in preparation to rescue a fancy goldfish that got insanely ****ed up by the fish he was shipped into my local shop with and nothing will be going in there aside from him.

The "I think they are okay where they are" list

I think my loaches can all stay together in the 20T I have, however I do not know what I should put in to cohabitate for the upper and mid ground levels of the tank. Currently they are with the female guppies, the danios, and the powder blue gourami.

I have my rice fish, my male guppies, and my otocinclus as well as 2 baby yellow mystery snails in my 5.5G with an absolute ton of plant life in there to offset the amount of waste they produce. I also ensured that this many fish was in a rimless setup so that it would force me to cycle water more often as a lot more is lost to evaporation.

The 60 gallon entering service will be unfathomably relieving in the efforts here but as of right now its getting cramped, I keep all of my fish in my bedroom as its the only room I'm able to control seeing as I'm renting just the room. I'm considering building a rack to house my 20Ls on so that they take up the same floor space, I currently have one on an ikea entertainment center and the other on a metal stand I picked up from the shops, but that **** is expensive AND cant hold two tanks. The space below it is currently being occupied by buckets of different substrates though.

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

-------------------

Did you want to keep all those fish?

Rainbow and redtail black sharks are highly territorial when mature and need a tank that is at least 3 foot long. If the fish is stressed or startled it will try to jump out and could injure itself.

Clown loaches grow to a foot long and need a tank that is at least 6ft long x 2 ft wide x 18 inches high. They also need to be in groups of at least 6 or more.

Dojo loaches grow to 8-10 inches long, albeit slowly and need a big tank (at least 4 foot long). They also need a cool water tank for part of the year.

If the fire gourami is a red flame dwarf gourami and the cobalt blue dwarf gourami are both colourful, they are probably both males and will fight. I'm amazed the opaline gourami gets along with the fire (flame) gourami. It might be a female opaline.

Personally, I would get rid of the clown loach, dojos, redtail and rainbow sharks and the golden wonder killifish. I would get rid of the Khuli loaches too because you never see them.

Malaysian Trumpet Snails should burn in hell. Sorry I don't like them at all.

Danios need to be in groups of at least 10 so they keep each other occupied. Their tank should be at least 3 foot long so they have room to move. They should be kept in tanks with slow moving or sedate fishes like gouramis or angelfish.

Neon tetras should also be kept in groups of 10 or more.

-------------------

TURNING LIGHTS ON AND OFF
Stress from tank lights coming on when the room is dark can be an issue. Fish don't have eyelids and don't tolerate going from complete dark to bright light (or vice versa) instantly.

In the morning open the curtains or turn the room light on at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the tank light on. This will reduce the stress on the fish and they won't go from a dark tank to a bright tank instantly.

At night turn the room light on and then turn the tank light off. Wait at least 30 minutes (or more) before turning the room light out. This allows the fish to settle down for the night instead of going from a brightly lit tank to complete darkness instantly.

Try to have the lights on at the same time each day. Use a timer if possible.

Make sure there are hiding places for the jumpy shark.

Ideally I would like to keep all of the fish in my care, though this rainbow shark is making me ask questions. I have him alone on my desk in that 6.5 I mentioned and I will monitor his behavior and see how he seems to be doing and if his quality of life is suffering. He is behaving how I would expect him to though as I write this.

I added some easy balance to the tank and mr jumpy shark has calmed down nicely. I think the hardness difference (GH) of about 30 ppm was a little too much even with drip acclimation. His tank was originally around 150 when he was added and he is now at 120. The original tank was at 120ppm as well.

As for the Kuhlis I have, I actually am able to see them quite often and they are among the favorite fish in my care in all honesty, sometimes I may not see them when I look at my tank briefly but if I watch for more than a couple minutes they're swimming about their fallen rock that they knocked over.

All of the concerns regarding the fish in smaller quantities have been noted and I will be looking to rectify this, all of them I actually received from a family member and I've just been letting them settle for now. I'm out to the shops today to get some more sponge filters and I'll try and grab some more for them today. I am not positive on what my clown loach is as he looks different than every other one I've seen and I actually dont believe he is a clown loach, he was just given to me under the impression he was a loach. He is missing a middle black stripe and presents with a less vibrant color. Any help IDing would be nice. I would grab a picture but the tank is currently on the trailing end of algae overrunning the tank and has limited lights at the moment. I can update later when its time. He gets spooked when I turn on the lights so I always have to wait for him to calm down to even get a clear look at him which is why I don't just flick them on and off.

Right now all of the fish that grow to be large over time are still in the leading portions of their lives and they aren't quite so large yet, though I am working a plan for their prolonged stay in my care as they grow. They will be moved to larger and more suitable accommodations as required.

Tap water hardness is barely on the safe end for carbonate hardness, like 60-80ppm and around 140ppm for general hardness

Danios need to be in groups of at least 10 so they keep each other occupied. Their tank should be at least 3 foot long so they have room to move. They should be kept in tanks with slow moving or sedate fishes like gouramis or angelfish.

Correcting a mistake.

Danios should not be kept in tanks with slow moving or sedate fishes like gouramis and angelfish.

If you want to keep all those fish, I would look into getting some more tanks and double or triple tier stands. Then you can put the killis in one tank, danios in another, etc.

There is no way to ID the loach without seeing it. A picture would definitely help when you can get one. Just check the picture on your computer before posting and we should be able to tell you what it is. Some clown loaches don't have all the black bars these days. This is from inbreeding and mass production in Asian fish farms. They are just genetic mutations in the colour pattern of the fish.

Most loaches do best in groups and have a pecking order. A dominant female rules the group and she will usually grow bigger than all the other loaches in her group.

I wish the Khuli loaches I had came out from under their rock. the only time I saw them was when I lifted their rock to gravel clean under it. :)

Back
Top Bottom