looking to spice up my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i gt a 15g two filters at 100gph heater n 4" airstone i have a fire dg 2 black mollys and a algee eater im goin to my lfs today and want a new tank mate or mates k have about 10 bucks any suggestions?

Sent from my Vortex using Aquarium

The molllies alone will be an issue in a 15 gallon IMO. I've seen some in person that were easily 5 inches. What kind of algae eater do you have?

I would not recommend adding any fish to your tank.

Your mollies will be fine. They'll probably die before even reaching more than three inches unless you're getting them from a store that cares about the fish they sell. Nonetheless, I have never had mine reach a little more than three inches. However, I would suggest getting a bigger tank if you want more fish as mollies like breathing room. You can get away with maybe another Mollie, a guppy, a platy, a swordtail, ghost catfish, dwarf frogs, snails. Any one of those would be fine. If you upgrade your tank you can add hiding places for smaller fish like tetras or make room for a bigger fish :)

DONT add a betta unless you want to find your fish dead the next morning. Even females are a little territorial.

Before your buy the fish look up the parameters to make sure they're the same as the mollies :) I'm not sure if catfish require the same pH level

DreD said:
Your mollies will be fine. They'll probably die before even reaching more than three inches unless you're getting them from a store that cares about the fish they sell. Nonetheless, I have never had mine reach a little more than three inches. However, I would suggest getting a bigger tank if you want more fish as mollies like breathing room. You can get away with maybe another Mollie, a guppy, a platy, a swordtail, ghost catfish, dwarf frogs, snails. Any one of those would be fine. If you upgrade your tank you can add hiding places for smaller fish like tetras or make room for a bigger fish :)

DONT add a betta unless you want to find your fish dead the next morning. Even females are a little territorial.

Before your buy the fish look up the parameters to make sure they're the same as the mollies :) I'm not sure if catfish require the same pH level

i got 4 neon tetras today there working well with the mollys im giving one of my mollys to a friend anyways and also acording to a stocking caculator im only 80% stocked so im fine

No offense please! ButStocking calculators are jokes. The only way to stock appropriately is with research.

acording to a stocking caculator im only 80% stocked so im fine
Personally, I would trust the advice of someone with severum's experience and extensive knowledge of keeping aquatic animals over what an automated stocking calculator tells you...

I haven't seen one of those that is accurate yet.

Homedog98 said:
No offense please! ButStocking calculators are jokes. The only way to stock appropriately is with research.

i truely positive im going to b fine i have 20 filters rated at 100gph live plants do water changes every week gravrl vac once a month and if they get to big i got a friend who has a nice tank

fort384 said:
Personally, I would trust the advice of someone with severum's experience and extensive knowledge of keeping aquatic animals over what an automated stocking calculator tells you...

I haven't seen one of those that is accurate yet.

thanks il keep that in mind

Ok then, but have you at least researched the little guys? And if you have a plan for them in the future I understand, but please please please do some research on them!

Homedog98 said:
Ok then, but have you at least researched the little guys? And if you have a plan for them in the future I understand, but please please please do some research on them!

the only one i planed to research was the Chinese alge eater im gna need to relocate:(

Please please please please please!!!! Research the mollies!!! You'll make everyone happy if you'd just do research!!!! Please please please (research or I'll keep going) please please please please pleeeeeeese!!!

Homedog98 said:
Please please please please please!!!! Research the mollies!!! You'll make everyone happy if you'd just do research!!!! Please please please (research or I'll keep going) please please please please pleeeeeeese!!!

No need to freak out lots of people can get away without researching mollies >.> there not exactly one of the hardest fish to keep happy and thriving. From my own personal experience mollies can be bullies. That's why I said make hiding places for fish like tetras cause they're rather small.

Make sure to watch their behavior. Sure the all the fish are fine now....but one week later the Mollie might change it's attitude.

ALSO, you just added FOUR new fish which is one more than recommended for adding new fish to tanks. Be alert! :) especially on water parameters you may just cause a spike D:

DreD said:
No need to freak out lots of people can get away without researching mollies >.> there not exactly one of the hardest fish to keep happy and thriving. From my own personal experience mollies can be bullies. That's why I said make hiding places for fish like tetras cause they're rather small.

Make sure to watch their behavior. Sure the all the fish are fine now....but one week later the Mollie might change it's attitude.

ALSO, you just added FOUR new fish which is one more than recommended for adding new fish to tanks. Be alert! :) especially on water parameters you may just cause a spike D:

im all prepared for the spikke im watchin like a hawk and my mollys seem super docile

Every fish is different :) just make sure you keep watch-which it sounds like you're doing ;)

Back
Top Bottom