lump on betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I've had my dumbo betta for three month now and over the past week i had noticed his stomach swollen i fasted him and also used a blanched deshelled pea, his swelling went down except for one side which has stayed slightly swollen? So I've been cutting back his food, now i was checking on him just now and have noticed a lump under his chin between his gills it's not smooth the only way I can

ForumRunner_20131029_194353.jpg

ForumRunner_20131029_194638.jpg

explain it is it looks like a cauliflower and his color has gone really pale on his head. It's a 16gallon, paras ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and nitrate 5 i do 50 % clean every 5 days. Any help would be appreciated as I really want to help this little guy. Thanks Lesley
Sorry my pics have been put in the wrong place.

A better picture, would yield better advice, but I know how difficult that can be. Is it his gill flap covering that is enlarged? Or does it appear to be above or beneath the 'skin' ?

bettas sometimes do some rapid movements and will rub on things (rocks, stick, gravel, etc..) so it could be just a scale peeled up or an injured gill! watch carefully and give him some freeze-dryed blood worms for protein!

A better picture, would yield better advice, but I know how difficult that can be. Is it his gill flap covering that is enlarged? Or does it appear to be above or beneath the 'skin' ?

It's where he flares it seems enlarged? Very lumpy, he hasn't flared for weeks. Thanks

The flap is enlarged, the lump is clearly out of the skin. One thing he hasn't done is flare for a while. Thanks trying to help.

Sorry my post went through twice, thank you both. I'll definitely read that blog thank you.
He loves his bloodworm so I'll give him some tonight.

Definitely will thank you Stellah

Good luck dear! I wish I had some secret tip, but I have never experienced hyperplasia myself, but I have kept betas for years, and have heard to watch out for it. Best of luck!

Sadly had too euthanise him tonight :( he had a tumour under his jaw and on his side. Couldn't watch him struggle.

Back
Top Bottom