Lump on bettas neck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had my betta for over 6 months and he's seemed fine. However I woke up yesterday and noticed one side of his neck/throat area is swollen and he had a white stringy spot hanging from underneath. Does anyone have any knowledge on this ?

Pics would be helpful.

The white stringy poops suggests a parasitic infection.

We need pics and water parameters, tank specs would be helpful as well.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433175989.797356.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433176003.729283.jpg
Sorry for the pics he won't move but just below his fin is slightly swollen. He's in a 5.5 g tank on his own. Parameter
8ph
0.0 ammonia
0.1 ppm nitrite
20-30 ppm nitrate.
He's seemed fine for ages just noticed he's not eating properly and had a white stringy poop

First you should do a water change because 20-30 isn't bad, but try keeping it below 20.

Also, you have a very pretty betta.

It looks to be bloat. How much do you normally feed?

I feed him every other day with flakes I do a 50% change every Saturday

Try switch to pellets and see if the problem persists. Flakes tend to be gobbled with air which can lead to bloat. It is also easy to overfeed with flakes.

Flakes can still be used but try to switch to a pellet for a few days and see if that helps. 2 pellets in the morning, 2 at night should work. If this doesn't help after a few days, it may be parasitic. Keep us posted!

Best of luck! - Raymond

Try switch to pellets and see if the problem persists. Flakes tend to be gobbled with air which can lead to bloat. It is also easy to overfeed with flakes.

Flakes can still be used but try to switch to a pellet for a few days and see if that helps. 2 pellets in the morning, 2 at night should work. If this doesn't help after a few days, it may be parasitic. Keep us posted!

Best of luck! - Raymond

Hi Raymond. I tried swapping to pellets and have even given a small amount of frozen blood work and he is still very bloated and isn't even eating anymore. Maybe has a mouthful then that's it ( if he doesn't spit it back out.) I'm now thinking maybe it's something abit more serious as he's not eaten properly for over a week

His colour is also slightly dull aswell

Sadly my betta died about an hour ago. He has been very lethargic all day and sitting at the top of the tank. And unfortunately died. Very sad day ?

Back
Top Bottom