Maggots or big microworms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I didn't think they got big enough to really see them indivdually. The culture is doing great but I'm wondering if these are some kind of fly larva/maggots on the lid. Sorry for the gross factor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1444627870650.jpg
    1444627870650.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 160
Looks like micro worms more then maggot(don't ask me how I know!).
That is the lid huh?
Usually the MW climb on wall and then you remove them for feed.
I use a toothbrush to swipe them ,add to water and dump to fish.
When you add them to water (in container) you should be able to see they are all small.

Yes that's the lid. They are going nuts for me. I have to add more yeast daily and tomorrow I need to split both cultures. The sides of the containers are full of them too just not bigger specimens.

So saying they were maggots, I know they aren't dragonfly larva so would feeding them to the bigger fish hurt anything? Only two bugs I've seen in the basement where I keep these are a couple flies and some very large spiders. Obviously not from the spiders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

If the fish eat them no worries what they are.
Only worry if larvae was not eaten and lived in water.
I believe maggots will drown if not eaten.
That is an active culture!

Best one I've ever had. Usually I kill them in about 2 weeks. Purchased this in Sept. And divided the second week and now it's like wow. The whole entire container shimmers including the lids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I read most culture last longer when kept drier then soup like consistency, and fed only 1 or 2 times a week.
The shimmering on the surface is awesome!

They both started to get more liquid and so I added more oatmeal. As for the yeast the next day there is no evidence of it on the surface. They are getting more liquid again so it's time to split and mix with more oats and start new cultures in case the first one I divided in two starts to fail. I have a very good book all about live cultures for fish. It doesn't present every method of doing things but is a good guide with pics. I send a copy of the book method for white worm cultures with the worms but I also offer my way which has been based on what I would consider good authorities in the killifish world.

The next sure fire way to know which is in there is the smell.
Micro worms don't smell all bad,just yeast and oatmeal...
If it is maggots you'll know by the BAD odor.
That and IMO there should be lots that are big enough to recognize.

Ok
I try not to sniff the cultures but I'll be cognizant of any change in smell. I didn't notice anything rancid. Maybe I'll see what happens when I divide.

I have same problem here. I noticed some larger worms crawling on the side of my 5l plastic container (egg hatchery), they are super fast comparing to normal worms, I do now and then water changes, but straight from the tap, and nearby water wouldn't be contaminated, also I couldn't transfer them from somewhere else because they weren't there couple days ago. I only transfer eggs from the breeder but the breeder have no worms, my egg hatchery contain some, Java moss which was there at the beginning, some trumpet snails and some other snail specie, also couple fry which start to disappearing ? Which usually happens. And some red cherry shrimps, which are not red at all. I was thinking if the worm could be larvae of ghost shrimp, or some of the fed banana worms grown big? Anyway it's in cabinet which is 99%air tight with fan blowing air out. Also containers are 90% sealed ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445536470.510308.jpg

Peace and Success to your fishes from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom