Magnet Algae Cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MickieFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Do they work.. or better yet.. HOW do they work?? I have seen them in LFS, but thought they were just another gadget to get my cash.. Thanks!

Ok.. I just read HOW they work.. I think I get it.. but do they work well??

I have a couple that came free with my filters, and they work great. If you are going to buy one, just make sure you buy one that floats. That way if you "drop" it, you can grab it easily without reaching through the depths of your aquarium.
A warning, the magnets are VERY strong, and can hurt if you pinch yourself. One of my kids snapped it on another's earlobe...it wasn't pretty

Tracy

the do work and quite well. if the on the inside falls off though, make sure you take it out and clean it off, My Acrylic has a scratch from some really fine crushed coral that i didn't notice had gotten on it.

They work great. Stick with the floating kind and be sure to get the correct type depending on whether you have glass or acrylic.

I will also agree how strong they are...I was sitting at my computer reading and just messing around with my Mag-Float without paying close attention. I'm not sure exactly how it happened...but it pinched my lip. There was blood and cursing. Strong enough to clean algae for sure!

I've had a few and they didn't work like I had hoped. They are good for getting off diatoms or green dust algae. But for spot algae, it wouldn't even make a dent.

My Magfloat works great on everything except coraline on the front glass. That requires a razor. I can clean the front of my 45G (36"x24") in 2 minutes with mine. I usually go over the tank twice horizontally and twice vertically. Gets it perfect every time.

I have a couple of them and they do work, but it is still faster to use a scrubber IMO. The main difference is whether or not you want to stay dry.

don't use it on an acrylic tank.. even teh ones's made for acrylic..

the magfloat won't scratch, but if you pick up a piece of substrate by accident you can carve quite the little design into your tank.... especailly eco complete which has iron ore in it.

my last tank had the mark of zorro on it.. I gave up on algae scrapers after that and went for olive nerite snails .. No algae, no scratchee

I love these things, there fun for my little niece to play with, they just attach on the inside and outside of the tank through magnets and you just slide them around to remove build up on the tank walls

i have managed to put a small scratch in my glass tank too by picking up a peice of gravel with it and dragging it across the glass making an awful sound... be careful with them if you buy one

I was also skeptical but decided to give the Mag Float a try, and it works great. My LFS advised me to buy the medium sized one instead of the large one, so I did, and it even removes green spot algae if you go over the area a couple of times.

Works great. I use a scraper on the bottom 6" to avoid scratches.
One of my kids snapped it on another's earlobe...it wasn't pretty

I have the big one made for 2" acrylic. I can only imagine. I put a thin piece of wood between them one time to see how strong it was. I say the ear would be gone if you could get them apart.

I've had both one meant for glass and one for acrylic. The one for glass works like a charm. The one for acrylic was worthless and got chucked in the trash. Definately avoid using the glass ones on acrylic as they will create a mild haze of scratches and if they pick up the least bit of anything will leave major scratches.

Most of my fish hide in fear but my parrot cichlids actually hate it enough to attack LOL.

img_606365_0_ff43f76618dc41cb49ba7e06fa7551c9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom