Malfunctioning Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter2009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 150 Watt Marineland Precision Heater in my tank that seems to no longer be regulating itself. It continuously heats regardless of the water temperature and my tank has become excessively warm.

Has anyone experienced this problem before? Are there any ways to fix the heater or should I just get a new one? If I do get a new one, does anyone have any recommendations?

My tank is 36 gallons.

I know of no way to fix a heater, and I would not mess with trying to do that. It is too dangerous for the health of the fish.

I was just about to make a venting post about the quality of aquarium heaters. I've noticed a major decline in quality over the past 20 years. I recently bought two new heaters rated for my tank sizes. No, they weren't the most expensive type, but they both have good reviews and aren't bottom of the barrel, either. One turned out to be completely inadequate for the size of the tank despite being rated for that tank size. It won't even heat the tank up to a standard temperature. The other has wild fluctuations in temperature--either goes off when it shouldn't or stays on when it shouldn't. I am thoroughly disgusted with both. The next time I buy a heater, I am going to do a lot of research to make sure I get one with superlative reviews and a warranty.

Yes I have experienced that problem. The heater is broken. You can’t fix it. Buy a new heater

I but the aqueon brand heaters off Amazon. They are only $10-20 and I keep some extras and replace them every year or so.

Back
Top Bottom