Many fish deaths, please help find the cause

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a 45litre (about 12 gallons) tank set up for nearly 9 months now.
i used to have a goldfish and some zebras - but they died of dropsy.
the only thing to survive was a weather loach.
i then cleaned the tank, cycled it for 10 days and did loads of tests til the water was perfect again, nitrates, ph etc, all was normal.
I have introduced 2 small paradise fish to the weather loaches, and they already have white spot and ulcers after only being in there 10 days or so! i have bought some white spot treatment straight away, but i want to know why does disease keep coming back to my tank? could it be something to do with the filter? i am at my wits end and get sad every time another fish gets ill!

Paradise fish is a close relative to the gourami and the betta. They do best as one fish of that species in a tank. They could have been fighting and the stress could have brought on ich or white spot. I don't know how well your weather loach will do with higher temperatures but that is what I use for ich.

If you cleaned your filter well then the ich parasite shouldn't be hiding in there.

Keep the water very clean, vacuum your gravel and raise the temperature slowly. Then check for a possible medicine that won't effect your weather loaches. I am not for sure how sensitive they are since I have never had them.

Paradise fish is a close relative to the gourami and the betta. They do best as one fish of that species in a tank. They could have been fighting and the stress could have brought on ich or white spot. I don't know how well your weather loach will do with higher temperatures but that is what I use for ich.

If you cleaned your filter well then the ich parasite shouldn't be hiding in there.

Keep the water very clean, vacuum your gravel and raise the temperature slowly. Then check for a possible medicine that won't effect your weather loaches. I am not for sure how sensitive they are since I have never had them.

thanks for the advice - the white spot seems to have gone away with treatment and the ulcers are nearly gone. i eventually took one of the paradise fish back to the store as they didn't seem happy together. now the remaining one is much healthier and happier.
thanks again!

I am glad the remaining one is happier and healthy. They are so pretty.

Back
Top Bottom