Marimo moss balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ringoffire

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wanted to know what some thoughts are on Marimo Moss balls? Are they actually beneficial to your tank or are they more of a fad? What experiences have any of you had with them?

I really wanted some but they didn't fit in with my plant decor.. The guy at my lfs said they were great for small tank, like for a single betta it would be perfect.. Never got around to trying them out though..

Hi I'm new here first post, I just bought one its in a newer setup almost through its first cycle 75 gallon community I think it looks cool in there and it been in only about 20 hours now and I can already see a slight difference I need a few more if I want the whole cleaning affect which I'm gonna get next week when they come in but I really do think it looks cool in there and if you have enough light your supposed to be able to split them and grow new ones. Just my opinion thanks for listening to me ramble.

I agree they do look cool. I have one in my 10 gallon tank. I just wonder if it's actually doing anything.

Hey everyone! I llove my Marimo! I have one in my 40 gallon and my Tinfoil barb and goldfish LOVE it! I really dont think it does anything for the water (it technically does, but in VERY small amounts). I would suggest getting them, there great!

Has anyone seen them for sale on etsy? Apparently they are being sold as pet moss balls for around 30 dollars for a moss ball a bowl and some colored craft sand...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392662810.196026.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392662819.402814.jpg

What are we doing having them in fish tanks?!? We need to be selling them for a million dollars!

I added one to my plant order because I knew the kids would love it. I was right. I only got the $3 "small" but Peabs sent me two quarter to half dollar sized ones. They just sit there being green balls but the kids think they're cool. (y)

Ya they are cool and all but are they really worth all the hype?

They're just different. People like new and different and even a bit weird. The "banana" plant is like this, too. But no, the reputation for being some sort of miracle nitrate absorber isn't earned. Heck, they aren't even moss so the name isn't earned either. They're just weird little algae balls.

Back
Top Bottom