Marine Fish/Coral Buying Guide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JesseMessykinn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone know of a decent book that has a good list of care sheets/requirements for marine fish? I'm looking for a good guide to take with me to the fish store. I know you should research the fish before you buy them and I do, but its not like I can walk to the fish store see the stock they have and go right home. My LFS is a hour drive away, and only open for 5 hours a day, 4 days a week. I know the basics on certain fish and ones I'm not sure about I just don't get or a try to ask the clerks/owners as much as possible. Most of the time they're mostly informative, but on the last time I went in the man (Never seen him before) went to the computer to look it up. I'm not saying liveaquaria.com doesn't know what they're saying but its not really enough to go on id say.

I'm on the verge of making my own quick book of few different types, and expanding over time, Reason I'm saying buying guide is because I don't need a detailed info on bluefin tuna and great white sharks, I didn't start my swim in reef tank yet. (Dream Tank) Just Something more or less hobby size fish is what im looking for.

Thanks for the Help, Sorry for the rant more or less :D

Any ideas would be great, or even a nice DIY layout care guide would be sweet and Im Honestly leaning more toward my own journal style care guide.

Thanks again! - Jesse

Do you have a smart phone? Just google the fish. Live aquaria or saltwater fish or one of those will come up with req's.

Well Ive decided im gonna make my own little fish care book for myself. Hes a Quick layout I tossed together. Tips and ideas Welcomed.

Name: Ocellaris Clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris

Minimum Tank Size: 20 Gallons

Care Level: Easy

Temperament: Peaceful, Some Species of Clown fish maybe aggressive

Reef Compatible: Yes

Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, PH 8.1-8.4, SG 1.020-1.025

Max Size: 3 ½", Some Species of clownfish can grow larger.

Diet: Omnivore, will accept most type of flake foods.

Origin: Indian and Pacific Ocean

Family: Pomacentridae

Notes: Clown fish are a wonderful additon to any marine aquarium, due to there smaller size and peaceful temperment they are a great fish for a smaller sized reef aquariums.

Clowns are one of the more hardier fish in the hobby, and are related to the damselfish. So if you insest on doing a fish-in cycle this is a good fish to start with.

Clownfish are also known to host sea anemones.

One thing I do at 2 out of 3 of the fish stores within an hour of me, is use their 'puter to access Liveaquaria prior to buying fish. Both those stores have staff that are knowledgable and caring, but still let me confirm. The other one sucks about everything. If your LFS cares, they would probably look something up if you ask (and it's not too busy).

I suggest buying a smart phone, it is 2013 after all. You can get the app for AA on your smart phone aswell as having google at your finger tips. I personally love having google handy when I go to the LFS. Sometimes you will find something you never thought of having in your book or something rare and google can give a quick run down on what it is your considering taking home.

I think paying $80+ a month for a cell phone which id used maybe 4-5 times a month is just is just ridiculous. On top of that I feel the more time passes the more we become depended on technology. Im young, live on my own with my gf, poor as a mofo, and just plain old school. Sorry to go off topic but if Someone took your smart phone away for a month how lost would you be? Besides I love to write, so im gonna hand write journals on All kinds of different fish. If I come across one I don't have I can always add to it :D Sorry for the Mini rant. Any who hows does my lay out look?

Good point made lol! Anyways, i really like what you wrote. Maybe include their diet and maybe where they are native. If you did include those topics and i didnt see it i apologize. Thing is, i could look at any fish website and see everything you just wrote and more just like that.. I dont know how helpful it would be to you because if you already all know that much about a fish without having to look it up then there is not much of a point to write ot down, understand? Either way, if you love to write and you love fish, you are doing the right thing :)

One thing I do at 2 out of 3 of the fish stores within an hour of me, is use their 'puter to access Liveaquaria prior to buying fish. Both those stores have staff that are knowledgable and caring, but still let me confirm. The other one sucks about everything. If your LFS cares, they would probably look something up if you ask (and it's not too busy).

I really do like this fish store and they do know there stuff, the one time I asked the older guy about a coral beauty angel. I had asked him about 20 diffrent questions, he also asked my about my tank stock. Very Very Helpful, its any joe can get a job at a fish store. Its more as less to cover my own ***. and theres always that one **** question you don't ask before you buy em :D

Good point made lol! Anyways, i really like what you wrote. Maybe include their diet and maybe where they are native. If you did include those topics and i didnt see it i apologize. Thing is, i could look at any fish website and see everything you just wrote and more just like that.. I dont know how helpful it would be to you because if you already all know that much about a fish without having to look it up then there is not much of a point to write ot down, understand? Either way, if you love to write and you love fish, you are doing the right thing :)

Thanks for the feed back, that was the first rough draft. Im thinking a fish profile is never going to be complete. Id like to also add personal experiences with the fish/inverts in my own tanks you know? It also helps with explaining to my gf why we cant keep a yellow tang inside a 20g tank. Also on another note, its defiantly a conversation starter in the fish store and could also use it to help other while im there to inform them more then just a 2 min conversation with a uninformed clerk, and how could I forget I want to open a fish store in my area!! Sadly all the close store are Chains Except 2. My LFS with is Marine only more or less, other then Discus. The other a store I wouldnt take a fish from if they were giving them away. They had like 20 10g tanks with walmart brand HOB filters, like come on act like you give a **** about your livestock!

Back
Top Bottom