Marineland custom tank - 2 times a loser :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattdean

Aquarium Advice Regular
I ordered a custom tank from Marineland. A 48 X 24 X 20 peninsula tank with 3 sides Starphyre glass, coast to coast overflow, drilled for closed loop and euro braced. The cost was $1200 CAD. 1st tank was bad. The euro brace was upside down on 3 sides. One long side was not square making the euro brace off as well. So, I sent it back and ordered a new one. This time I added a foot to the length and asked for an INSIDE euro brace. I really did not like the look of the euro brace sitting on top of the side panels of glass. Especially when the tank is in the middle of the room. They wanted $400 more for the longer tank. Now, the drilling of the holes and the overflow and the initial cost of putting the tank together was over half the price. So, how is it that they can charge a full 30% more for just 25% more glass AFTER you take into consideration the initial charges?

Now, I got the price down to $1500 for the new tank. ($100 less than the asking price from my LFS) I waited another month for the tank. It comes in and the euro brace is still ON TOP! I even asked about the brace when I saw the drawings and specs because it looked to me like it was wrong, but I was told it would be inside.

What would you do? I wouldn't take it. I will have this tank for a long time and I've built my whole room around it. Marineland's response is to take $100 off and say, oh well. The problem now is I amy have to wait anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks for it. and I don't know if it's going to be right then anyway!

Very frustrated. Rant over.

send it back, get a full refund and consult a glass shop or find an acrylic supply house. Custom tanks are a pain because they never turn out right the first time.

Marineland is one of my less then desirable companies to give my money to

Yeah, they are not in my good books anymore, either.

Well, I need to wait to find out what is going to happen tomorrow. I won't be giving them any benefit of the doubt, that's for sure.

Cheers

I was going to buy one of their commercial systems for my tank room, a buddy already has his, it leaks like a civ. Marinelands response.....its a chemical in his tap water eating the silicone, duh OK marineland.

Well, I was just told that it's not possible to put the euro brace on the inside. it HAS to sit on top of the side panels. At least everyone - the LFS and Perfecto are telling the same story. I spoke to each separately.

I'm OK with the fact that they will not do it from an engineering/safety point. Apparently, they told my LFS that, but he neglected - or forgot - to say anything.

Looks like I will simply take this tank and hope I get something for my trouble. The tank is otherwise perfect. So....reef on!

They wanted $400 more for the longer tank. Now, the drilling of the holes and the overflow and the initial cost of putting the tank together was over half the price. So, how is it that they can charge a full 30% more for just 25% more glass AFTER you take into consideration the initial charges?

the price difference probably has to do with the waste that they get from making the tank. at 48 X 24 X 20 they can get pretty much the whole tank out of one sheet of 48X96 glass. However when you add a foot to the length they have to use almost 2 to 3 sheets of 48X96 inch glass. (only reason I think of this is because I deal with it when building cabinets when people want them different sizes you have to waste a lot more material.)

Interesting. That would make sense. I have been assured by several outside parties that the price I paid was fair, if not more than fair - for what I got.

I decided to take the tank as is. I told the LFS that they had to throw me a couple of nice SPS when I was ready for them.;)

It's on the stand and it's beautiful!

Cheers

OK, this is the tank on the stand. That's all I got now. Still have a ton of work to do on it, but at least the wait is over. :fadein:

Attachments

• tsnk-empty.jpg
    tsnk-empty.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 242
  • tank-room.jpg
    tank-room.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 220
Nice Tank, sorry to hear you had so much trouble, and still didnt get it the way you wanted. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom