Marineland ich remedy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lomeli562

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would anybody happen to know if marineland ich remedy is safe for scaleless fish? I have a pictus catfish that caught ich and hes a well loved pet. Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You might have to call the company if google doesn't turn up searches or if the bottle dosent say. It should say "use caution when treating scaleless fish and invertebrates" if it dosent say that it probably wouldn't hurt the catfish. What are the ingredients? I use "rid ich" which says "use cation" becuase it has malachite/formalin on tanks that have cories, they don't seem bothered at all by it.

Scaleless fish do fine with about a half dose or a 1/4 dose of most medications. Why not avoid the meds all together and just crank up your temp to around 84-85 and do aggressive water changes every two days and your ich will hopefully be cured. The heat speeds up the parasites life cycle and water changes will help you remove spores from the water. The parasite can only be killed while it is outside of its host so heating up the tank will bring them out faster to be exterminated.

I fond out the hard way we lost our pictus cat Mr. Whiskers but thank you for the responses. I will from now on avoid medications unless absoloutely needed

I fond out the hard way we lost our pictus cat Mr. Whiskers but thank you for the responses. I will from now on avoid medications unless absoloutely needed

Im so sorry, :( it can be hard to lose a fish, especially when its one that is large and personable like a pictus cat. :flowers:

You absolutely should avoid meds unless the fish is ovbiously sick, but you got to use them at some point, just got to know which ones and how much ect.
If you just like catfish, there are some medicated feeds that they use even on farm raised catfish that are called Terramycin and Mentraidazole that will clear them from Bacterial infections and parasites if used properly for the entire duration, don't "shotgun" or dose here and there for a couple days, that will only make it worse in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom