Maxi-jet power heads/water movement question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Voodoo Chilli

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm still working on the equipment list for my 55g FOWLR. So far, I'm looking at a 48" (4) 65 watt Lunar Aqualight (260 watts total), a Remora skimmer, a Filstar XP2 filter (which will eventually be used only for water circulation/chemical filtration after I've got enough live rock), and a Hydor inline heater.

My main question now regards water circulation. The XP2 is supposed to move 300 GPH. I've been looking at the Maxi-jet 1200 p.heads, which are rated at 295 GPH. Would the XP2 and a couple of these p. heads give my tank enough circulation? Are the Maxi-jets good, or should I look into another brand? Do I need more or less circulation? Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

From what i can gather maxi-jets are great powerheads. Also ive been reading that may people on this site customize them to increase performance. I have a filstar XP3 (its the big one, not sure if its 3 or 1) running on my tank with rubble in it.. but ive been told at the LFS that this will become a "Nitrate" factory.. can anyone shed some light on this?

ps voodoo, i have a MJ1200 and it works great so far

Either the Maxi-Jet 1200 or Penguin 1140 (without the air intake) would be great choices for a 55 gal.

I also like the Seio Super Pumps.

To eliminate dead spots placing one on each end of the tank pointing at each other or towards the middle front/back will create convulsing currents and good surface agitation. Main thing you want to avoid is a circular motion to your tank.

Jme said:
ive been told at the LFS that this will become a "Nitrate" factory.. can anyone shed some light on this?
Any canister filter, wet/dry, or sump can become a "Nitrate" factory if not properly cleaned. Since you use lr rubble you reduce it slightly but I'd still break it down and clean it at least once a month. I clean my canister (Mag 350 pro) weekly when I do my pwc.

That's why 1.5+ lbs per gal of live rock in the main is the most recommended filtration system because a good clean up crew (hermits, snails, shrimp) eliminate most of the waste within the tank.

I agree with tec. The sponges in my canister were nitrAte factories. I ended up taking them out, two at a time, thanks to the advice of tec! Everything worked out great!

May I inquire as to why a circular flow is bad? It seems that the setup in my 10 gallon, which is circular using two powerheads pointed the same direction across the top of the tank gives my tank the best possible flow. Place on opposite sides, some of the lower parts of my tank will have virtually no flow, while other areas have too much

Someone on one of these saltwater forums mentioned (fairly recently) a powerhead that works well and is easily hidden. (Eheim maybe?) I can't locate the post. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I'm in the market for a couple of new powerheads, too....I'll stay tuned here.

Jarred Darque said:
May I inquire as to why a circular flow is bad?
In a 10 gal tank flow usually isn’t as big of an issue as in larger tanks since the size gets flow pretty much all around.

In larger tanks circular flows usually leave a lot of dead spots which can funnel a lot of waste into one area and can also promote algae growth.

As long as you have a 15+ gph turn over on your tank you shouldn’t see too many dead spots anywhere no matter how you have your ph set up. With them pointed at each other it just helps to break up circular patterns and creates a more turbulent result which mimics the fishes natural environment more closely.

Back
Top Bottom