Metal T valve in water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
Bought a top fin metal T valve so I can run two bubbling ornaments, but it doesn't specify whether or not it can be used in the water. I know the general rule of thumb is no metal in a tank, but if it's specifically made for an aquarium can I use it?
I would rather have one tube running down the back with the T valve in the middle running to each ornament, is this possible?
Thanks!

What kind of metal is it? If it is orange, it's most likely copper, which is not good for fish.

The T valve is made to run outside of the water. I don't know for sure that anything bad would happen if it was submerged over time, but it is not a chance I would personally take. JMO. :)

It looks like brass to me. Could I coat it in silicone?
The only way to really seal off all metal would be to connect it to the air tubes and silicone all the way around it, so there is no metal exposed. I think they make plastic T-valves though, if you don't want to do that.

Through research I've found the only negative side effect is leeching copper into the water, since brass is an alloy made mostly of copper and zinc. I know copper is harmful to inverts, but I don't have any and never plan on getting any. Will it negatively affect my goldfish?

It will oxidize over time. You could assemble it and then dip it in silicon but at about 5 bucks a tube for the silicon you would be better off spending a few coins on a plastic tee.

Back
Top Bottom