Midas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LOD

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I got one for you guys ....... I picked up a Midas cichlid and put put him in my 120 gallon !!! Thinking ok maybe 3 to 4 nice different types of South America cichlids and I should be good ??*♂️??*♂️?? Well I add a Red devil Midas ( I am so wrong the started fighting ) ... So I split them up ... My question do I just find ALL the fish I want to add and add them at the same time ??? The size I’m dealing with is about 8to 10 inches in size ...

Adding them as juveniles and letting them grow out together seems to work better than adding full grown Cichlids together but that's not always practical. Sounds like he's going to be a pain in the a**. You could try a clear divider for a month and remove it.....see if he still behaves the same way. Maybe seeing them but not being able to get to them he could give up on the fight..... maybe. Lol.

I totally agree with KF. When putting together an aggressive cichlid tank (American or African) if possible stock them as juveniles, at the same time. As noted by KF, tank dividers might work for adult fish. Another possibility is a very congested hardscape, with numerous line of sight breaks, hiding spots and backdoor escape routes.
I'm a little confused "not difficult to do" I read that you stocked a Midas and then a Midevil?
If so, the Midas and Red Devil / Midas hybrid are probably too closely related to expect a peaceful cohabitation.
It's important to note that starting a group of aggressive cichlids together as juveniles isn't always successful. That method totally failed with my Texas Cichlid Hybrid. Many Central American cichlids lose their minds when they hit puberty and become psycho killers. Such is true with my fish. He is now confined to his own private tank. I'll never know what combination of cichlids were crossed to create my Texas Hybrid, but judging by its shape, Midas comes to mind.

Attachments

• 20181117_191957.jpg
    20181117_191957.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 59
He's getting close to nine inches and has grown a set of very sharp teeth. He earned the name "Fangs", becoming somewhat famous on the various forums. Lol.

Attachments

• 20181028_194036.jpg
    20181028_194036.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom