Mini shrimp pond and its water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Do shrimp tolerate shallow waters? Would a 2.5 gallon mini indoor pond work for them? I'm looking into summer projects and miniature builds I can do in my spare time and just thought of that. Also, would it be safe to use water from my +250,000 gallon pond on my ranch? I have large mouth bass, perch, minnows, and crawfish in it. I would think it'd be very healthy for any of my fish and future shrimp in the tanks at home, right? I mean it's full of nutrient rich food for them to feed on. I don't see why not. Thoughts on both subjects?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think water depth matters as much as water stability.
What makes this a mini pond? Just curious.
Shrimp are primarily biofilm feeders so IMO the nutrient rich water might not be as benefit the shrimp as much as you might think. However. It may help the biofilm grow. Just make sure that you are not introducing excessive nitrates.

Which type of shrimp are you thinking? If you are thinking of dwarf shrimp they need really pure water. Bio film yes but really good parameters especially for the caridina shrimp. Neos are a little more tolerant

I don't think water depth matters as much as water stability.
What makes this a mini pond? Just curious.
Shrimp are primarily biofilm feeders so IMO the nutrient rich water might not be as benefit the shrimp as much as you might think. However. It may help the biofilm grow. Just make sure that you are not introducing excessive nitrates.

What makes it a pond is that its not a tank but a Sterilite container ;)
It was a dollar so I figured why not?! It's a long one but pretty shallow so that's why I was curious about the depth for shrimp. But if that doesn't work ill probably use it for growing out my plants.

A correction to my earlier post: its actually 1.5 gallons. I don't think it should be a problem because if you look up nano shrimp tanks a lot of them are that size.

Here's a picture: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427642392.837300.jpg

Which type of shrimp are you thinking? If you are thinking of dwarf shrimp they need really pure water. Bio film yes but really good parameters especially for the caridina shrimp. Neos are a little more tolerant

By dwarf shrimp did you mean neocaridina?

All of the dwarfs. Neos and caridina. Caridina are waaaay more sensitive than the neos though

So cherries are the hardiest?

Neocarndia are very hardy IE cherry, yellow neo, orange, blue velvet, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where's the best place to buy yellow ones? I like those the best :)

So the depth of that is ok then I guess?

Yeah that's plenty deep for shrimp. I wouldn't be surprised if they only needed an inch or two. How high are you filling it?

29g Community

3g Betta

Shrimpusa, blue crown aquatics, post on here, maybe try a lfs. Finding a breeder/other hobbyist will be the cheapest.

I am sure I am forgetting a few places.

Yeah that's plenty deep for shrimp. I wouldn't be surprised if they only needed an inch or two. How high are you filling it?

29g Community

3g Betta

There's a ridge near the top and that's where I'll be filling it. I don't want to be so full that I bulges out.

I finished the hardscape and its all filled up! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427764344.148349.jpg
I want to add some black river stones around the edges of the gravel but unfortunately I found out that the rocks I planned to put in there had an unknown sticky chemical treatment on the them so I couldn't put them in :(
The middle is sand.

Hopefully in the end yes.

Back
Top Bottom