Minicycle has begun...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FeldmansFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
After my ammonia spiked about 2 weeks ago my 2 remaining tiger barbs started sort of a fish-in minicycle. my ammonia is at .25-.50 ppm but I'm worried about the nitrites as they're at 5 ppm. At what point do nitrites become lethal to tropical fish?
:thanks:

You want to keep your nitrates under 20ppm so all you need to do is a 50% WC to bring your numbers down and keep testing like you've been doing.

FeldmansFish said:
After my ammonia spiked about 2 weeks ago my 2 remaining tiger barbs started sort of a fish-in minicycle. my ammonia is at .25-.50 ppm but I'm worried about the nitrites as they're at 5 ppm. At what point do nitrites become lethal to tropical fish?
:thanks:

If I understand correctly nitrites are as dangerous as ammonia so a 5 reading is very dangerous. I'd do a couple 50% water changes to get them as close to 0 as possible.

Water changes are definitely needed to get your nitrites under control (.25ppm or less). Nitrites affect fish at a cellular level by preventing oxygen from being absorbed into hemoglobin (red blood cells) so a fish's body is basically starved of oxygen. Oxygen deprivation causes brain damage, organ damage and a host of other issues at a cellular level. You may not notice obvious effects initially but the damage can cause health issues and demise that may not be apparent for weeks, months or longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom