miracle mud marine in a freshwater sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
So any thoughts on if I can put miracle mud that is geared toward reef tanks in a freshwater refugium? I had read a lot of people raving about miracle mud in their freshwater refugium sump and doing a search for it bought 5 lbs from dr fosters. Well, apparently there are different kinds of miracle mud, a freshwater, a pond, and a saltwater. The pond and freshwater apparently arent as easy to find, and not carried by Dr fosters... So, my question is is the makeup of the substrate tentatively harmful to a freshwater tank since I have the marine variety? The trace elements are as follows:

Aluminum, antimony, barium, beryllium, bismuth, boron, bromine, cadmium, calcium, cerium, cesium, chromium, chloride, cobalt, dysprosium, erbium, europium, fluorine, gadolinium, gallium, germanium, gold, hafnium, holmium, indium, iodine, iridium, iron, lanthanum, lithium, lutetium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, neodymium, nickel, niobium, osmium, palladium, phosphorus, platinum, potassium, praseodymium, rhodium, rubidium, ruthenium, rhenium, samarium, selenium, silicon, silver, sodium, strontium, sulfur, tantalum, tellurium, terbium, thallium, thorium, thulium, tin, titanium, tungsten, vanadium, ytterbium, yttrium, zinc, zirconium.

Funny thing is that when those trace elements are compared to the freshwater miracle mud they list the exact same ones. This is off the manufacturers website. This leads me to believe they are actually the exact same product, just with different labels? Anyone with experience dealing with these products? Thanks.

Here is the freshwater trace element list:

Aluminum, antimony, barium, beryllium, bismuth, boron, bromine, cadmium, calcium, cerium, cesium, chromium, chloride, cobalt, dysprosium, erbium, europium, fluorine, gadolinium, gallium, germanium, gold, hafnium, holmium, indium, iodine, iridium, iron, lanthanum, lithium, lutetium, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, neodymium, nickel, niobium, osmium, palladium, phosphorus, platinum, potassium, praseodymium, rhodium, rubidium, ruthenium, rhenium, samarium, selenium, silicon, silver, sodium, strontium, sulfur, tantalum, tellurium, terbium, thallium, thorium, thulium, tin, titanium, tungsten, vanadium, ytterbium, yttrium, zinc, zirconium.

Exact same... hmmm.... they just label the package differently dubbing one "freshwater"? hmmmmm...

I mean I guess I'm asking this primarily because I don't want to have to return the product for the "freshwater" variety IF it's the same thing and would save me time and money sending it back. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom