Mississippi to california

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keao_m

Aquarium Advice Activist
Will be moving in California and was wondering what the best way to move my fishes would be. I already talked to the people at the LFS and they said a battery operated aerator. That sounded like a good idea but was wondering if there is another way. we are planning on driving over a span of 3 days.

Current fish-
2 albino oscars( bigger of the two is 3")
1 jack Dempsey (3")
1 convict(2")
1 green terror(3")
2 featherfin catfish(7")
2 angelfish (the bigger ones body is as big as a tennis ball)
1 black banded leporinus
2 blue gourami (biggest is about 4")
8 African cichlids ( biggest is about 4")

I really don't want to get rid of any of them but if it has to be done I will.
Thank you in advance.

If you're moving long distance i would highly recommend shipping overnight to a reputable LFS that can keep your fish until you're ready to take them back. Could be a bit pricey but just another option.

AquaRick said:
If you're moving long distance i would highly recommend shipping overnight to a reputable LFS that can keep your fish until you're ready to take them back. Could be a bit pricey but just another option.

+1 to this. It is probably the best way to go. But if you're not comfortable with shipping fish or dont trust your LFS, you could bring them on the drive, but it'd probably be even more stressful for the fish

You'll have to find a way to keep them warm during the move, can be a bit challenging. Jim's Exotic Fish in El Segundo (so cal) is a fantastic store, if that's where your moving.

AquaRick said:

I will take that into consideration but I have never even been to this part of California. I am in the military and am moving duty stations.

Keao_m said:
I will take that into consideration but I have never even been to this part of California. I am in the military and am moving duty stations.

Where in California are you moving to?

Keao_m said:
I am in the military and am moving duty stations.

You serve our country I'll gladly help do some leg work for you. What city are you moving too?

Im in cali as well. There are many great pet stores here that would gladly hold your fish im sure

KBCoggin said:
You serve our country I'll gladly help do some leg work for you. What city are you moving too?

I will be moving to Ventura county. I think Oxnard is the city.

Hurmm, Oxnard is about 70 miles North of me. Let me see what I can dig up about LFO's in that area.

If you take them for the drive, youd be better with a power inverter that plugs in to your cig. lighter. You can get em with 2 elec sockets, one for your heater one for the bubbler.

Back
Top Bottom