Mixing gravel???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking to mix a smaller size gravel in with my current pea size gravel. One of the reasons for this is for my corys as I read they like to dig etc..
Is this a good idea?? I don't fancy moving over to all sand as when I move into my larger tank is when I'll be adding the additional substrate and plants so my poor fish will be sitting in a bucket waiting for their new home!!
Any thoughts gratefully accepted :)

Once you've had sand, you'll never go back to gravel. ;)

My corys are in sand, so I can't say, but I believe the larger cory species (I have pygmys) would do okay with smaller gravel. You just want to watch that their barbels don't get damaged.

Thanks the ones I have now are doing fine with the larger gravel with no injuries. I was thinking of maybe having some areas of sand for them I've purchased some DW maybe I could do sand around that?? Just not sure of the cleaning of sand I have a gravel vac atm

I have a gravel vac, too, and have changed 3 of our 4 tanks over to sand. It's SOOOOOOOO much easier cleaning the tanks now. And you do not suck sand up the python.

So you still use the gravel vac?? I'm really torn as to what to do and trying to get loads of info so I can make an informed choice which is best for both me and my fish!
I don't want any more mistakes after loosing a load to an over feeding issue in the early days!

I just hold the water changer 1/4 - 1/2 inch above the sand, and any debris whooshes up and all sand stays put. It's amazing.

:thanks: I may very well make the move over to sand, if i can afford it! for a 30"x12"x15" (88L/20(ish USg)) how much sand would you think I need? I was thinking of mixing it in with my existing gravel (currently in a smaller tank) so I dont loose bacteia etc in the big change :brows:, plus it'll save me a bit of cash?
(y)

I used 100 lbs in my 75 gallon and wished that I'd put in another 25 at least.

:thanks: I may very well make the move over to sand, if i can afford it! for a 30"x12"x15" (88L/20(ish USg)) how much sand would you think I need? I was thinking of mixing it in with my existing gravel (currently in a smaller tank) so I dont loose bacteia etc in the big change :brows:, plus it'll save me a bit of cash?
(y)

I agree with LyndaB ... sand's the way to go. Get PFS from your local pool supply store ... in-expensive when compared to LFS gravel and one bag may be enough to give you up to 3 inches of substrate.

PFS looks great, cleans up easily and doesn't cloud up when disturbed. You could even add it to your gravel. At first it'll cover the gravel, but over a few days the sand works it's way deeper into the bed. You'd have to do a few runs until the sand works it's way up to the gravel surface and covers it ... but it can be done. This is what I'm slowly doing with the front 1/3 of my gravel so my crypts have gravel and sand to anchor their roots to.

(y)
The bacteria in the gravel are not important if you have a filter. You can get rid of every stone in one night (I did) and have NO problems. I switched with my fish in a bucket (filter running in bucket) for at leat an hour and had NO fatalities :) Also I recomend Pool Filter Sand (PFS) as it is large enough to sink instead of float around the water column.
Good luck and God bless!

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I can get PFS by me, now i'decided to do the switch I'm having a nightmare deciding what type/colour/amount of sand to use. Why cant things be simple!!

Thanks for that. I'm not sure I can get PFS by me, now i'decided to do the switch I'm having a nightmare deciding what type/colour/amount of sand to use. Why cant things be simple!!
lol if you want white try and find PFS at a hardware store or a pool filter supply. If you want black I would recomend Sand blasting Sand. Not sure where to get it though. You could also try play sand but its kinda a risk.

We don't have many people with pools in wales so I'll have to hunt to find PFS, I shall be visitng my local LFS and procing up bags otherwise. Thanks

I have/had just gravel in my tank and after a month I had wished I just got sand for easier cleaning and the look. So about 2 weeks ago I bought a small bag of blue sand (was on sale at the LFS) and just put it right on top of the gravel. It mixes in eventually with the gravel and really looks cool. My cories love it!​

Back
Top Bottom