Mollies and Eco-jar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

9windsofash

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am new to this forum. My classmates and I were making a self- sufficient eco jar. I was wondering if mollies would work in it. If I put snails and red cherry shrimp in it would that work as well? Also java moss?

I think mollies eat algae...? It would be a closed jar. Thanks!

Mollies only eat algae on occasion. My sword tail eats far more algae than my mollie. I rarely see my black mollie pick algae off leafs and decor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No, this would most likely kill the mollie.
these fish require different minerals from other foods, a small catfish would be ok in those conditions.
make sure that the PH of the water is around 7.5-8.5 before this though.

Mollies

Hi, I am new to this forum. My classmates and I were making a self- sufficient eco jar. I was wondering if mollies would work in it. If I put snails and red cherry shrimp in it would that work as well? Also java moss?

I think mollies eat algae...? It would be a closed jar. Thanks!

No fish will work - too small a volume and fish waste products like ammonia will kill the fish.

Snails produce an incredible amount of waste and apart from maybe one small, baby snail I wouldn't do that either.

Shrimp I'm also not convinced will survive. If previous classes have done this successfully I'm certainly interested but I'm very much not convinced so far.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news however better to get good marks for a working system.

I'd still look at some sort of driftwood and a plant on the driftwood. With one snail.

I have a betta in a 5 gallon, mature, cycled tank (with the occasional snail) and the amount of waste produced just from that bioload results in myself doing water changes of at least 3 gallon a week.

Dela pool is spot on. I have 1 male guppy in a 5.5 with ghost shrimp and that tank gets trashed so easily.

Just remember, smaller the tank, the more concentrated the bioload and the more frequent the water changes have to be

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom