Mollies male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad dog fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two mollies and I'm not sure if they are male or female. One had babies a few days after I bought them. I think they may both be female but not sure. Can someone please tell me? I'm going to try and attach some photos.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416393624.462632.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416394020.983155.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I cannot tell from that photo. Just look at the bottom fin and see what shape it is. Females have a rounded anal fin. Males have a stick like anal fin. Females can carry sperm for months from one mating. They are usually pregnant when you buy them. If you have two females they will continue to have babies for up to 6 months. After that, with no male present, they should be out of sperm.

Thank you for your responses. The black one often "has a go" at the yellow one. Is this a dominance thing?

I honestly want to say that the orange Molly is a female. The fins are clamped so it's hard to tell but from what I can see the area where the gonopodium would be with a male is just too broad.

I thought it might be. It is slightly smaller than the black one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom