Molly at about the end of it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a molly that recently gave birth for 11 new baby fry (all of which are doing phenomenal and thriving), and now it seems like she is about to croak and I'm hoping to avoid this. She's in my 30 gallon tank with two other molly's, one female and another male, 2 guppies and has been swimming oddly. Her head is always facing down, and she has trouble swimming in general so usually stays at the top or bottom of the tank. Is this swim bladder disease, dropsy, and is there anything I can do for her?

Do you have a way to test your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ect?
Dropsy is identifed by a pine-cone type appearance. The fish is bloated and the scales stick out like a pine-cone.
Do a 50% water change. Clean wter does wonders for fixing fish. :) But, we need to know the params to know more. Also, are you able to get a picture?

Well, not anymore, unfortunately she died. I'm currently out of kits to test the ammonia, nitrate and nitrites, last I checked the ph was at 7.6. Not dropsy then, because no actual pine-cone appearance. She was at the bottom of the tank with her head facing down when she died. I appreciate the response.
I've carried out water changes recently, especially since I had a bout with Ich a week ago, so I've been keeping up water changes to prevent it from resurfacing.
i'm a bit of an amateur, still, so hopefully this will be the only fish I lose this way, because her babies are the coolest things I've ever seen.

I am sorry she died. Carrying and dropping fry is hard on females, and I have had a couple of them die afterwards or right before dropping. So, thats an option. You should try to get a test kit, or else get the water tested, because knowing the parameters for sure would help to make sure you don't have an issue that could happen again. You aren't overstocked or anything,, so I doubt it was a water quality issue, but its always good to double check.

Back
Top Bottom