Most hardy, peaceful, fish you can think of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok folks.. looking for your opinion... I am looking for the most hardy, peaceful types of fish you can think of. And when I say peaceful, I don't mean "usually" peaceful.. I mean that almost with certainty this fish is never going to try and eat their tankmates :p

And if you can even get as specific as a specific type of fish (like "Julii Corys are more hardy than Panda Corys") that would be even better.. as all types of a species of fish aren't created equal when it comes to hardiness and peacefulness right?

And then if you had a 75 gallon tank currently home to Cherry Barbs and Glowlight Tetras... and thinking of the above rules (super hardy, super peaceful) would you add Platy's and/or Swordtails (of the appropriate number and gender ratios of course)?

Or would the safest thing to do would be to add perhaps some different kinds of tetras and/or danios? (I am planning on adding Cory's of some sort regardless)

This was sort of a rambling question, and for that I apologize... :)

Hmm, tough call. IME, armored catfish are some of the toughest fish I know of. You could go with aeneus cories. They're common and cheap, which usually means they're easy to breed. I've never heard of cories bothering anything except blackworms. If you keep your tank clean, most common fish will be hardy.

I'd add either or both to a 75g. Limit it to one male swordtail or you'll have fights.

Guppies and Endlers are 100% peaceful.
I had some aggressive swordtail males before. Platies are typically more peaceful. All female platies would be a safe choice (they are perfectly fine without males)

Zebra and Giant Danios are peaceful
Rummynose tetras are peaceful
My blood parrot is very peaceful (but i dont recommend if its a small tank)
My gold barbs are and have been very peaceful for over a year now.
Glo-light tetras, neons and harlequin rasboras have been very peaceful in my tanks....hope this helps

+1 on guppies. In fact they seem to be the other end of the scale, subject to attack by every other type of fish, or in my case, shrimp!

I have 7 males and they all live together quite happily.

Or concerns about mixing Platies and Guppies for that matter?

Its a 75 gallon and when is all said and done I should have plenty of room for increased load from the livebearers for a good while... but here's to hoping that the adults help control the fry a bit too :)

Or concerns about mixing Platies and Guppies for that matter?

Its a 75 gallon and when is all said and done I should have plenty of room for increased load from the livebearers for a good while... but here's to hoping that the adults help control the fry a bit too :)

Don't have any experience with barbs, but guppies and platies mix quite well

My Giant Danios are anything but peaceful. They rule my 55 gallon tank and are getting huge!

I have 4 panda corys together with red-belly cichlids (well... they call them that way over here... it's the pelvicachromis pulcher. They are a bit territorial but still they get along quite well (so far). If you're going for a few corys anyway, I would put a group of the same species so that they school... mine actually cuddle. They are very beautiful, but of course maybe you prefer another type. I also chose them because they get to 5 cm maximum. I also have pigmeus corydoras... tiny funny guys, but those don't seem to school. They go around with their own business.

Great to keep your bottom in good condition!! I was thinking maybe rasbora galaxy for a peaceful, beautiful type... but I don't have room for them atm.

Sorry, I meant that the cichilds are territorial, not the corys... but they hang out happy at the same places (sure the cichlids are not breeeding yet so the male is not too concerned) :)

High five for the cory cats!

yeah platys very peaceful, mollies are very peaceful as long as you keep them in the right ratio of males to female's as I had to remove a male from my tank for being over protective.

any kind of tetras or danios really. I also have dwarf gouramis and corydoras that are very friendly.

Really a lot of the "cheaper" tropical fish are hardy and generally peaceful. It all comes down to what fish you personally like and how much maintainence your going to do to the tank

mark

Agreed on the cories. I keep many different kinds and have never seen any aggression from them, well, unless another fish tries to eat their algae wafer or bottom feeder chip. ;)

Otos are another good one, really cute, affordable and content to stay out of the way. The more, the merrier.

Hatchet fish (tetras), serpae tetras, columbian tetras, diamond tetras, black skirt tetras, pencil fish (depending on which one), white clouds. Ok, I'll stop here. :)

Sparkling gouramis and licorice gouramis are way cool. Very friendly, very small, but very pretty. (not suggested to go with cherry barbs, but cool fish anyways)

Scarlet badis (dario dario) are also very cool and very pretty. I wouldn't say they are aggressive, but for little guys, they sure don't back down. Lots of personality in them. (not suggested to go with cherry barbs, but cool fish anyways)

I decided on Corys, Platys and Guppies...

So all told the plan will be to have:

6 white clouds (current residents)
11 glow light tetras (current residents)
7-11 cherry barbs (have 7 now, could use some more females though, current have 3 males and 4 females.. no issues so far though)
9-11 cardinal tetras (have 9 now)
7 panda corys
7 julii corys (or false julii)
6-9 Guppies
6-9 Platys

SOunds like a pretty good mix. My personal experience with Cherry Barbs are that they are hardy and peaceful though they do chase each other around like little crazy fish at times but it's more like a dance and entertaining to watch. Lemon Tetras are by FAR the most hardy fish I have ever owned. Never had a single one die, had to give them away after owning them for 3 years when I moved to another state. They even survived a bad bout of ich with high temp treatment no worse for the wear.
Peppered cory's are also quite hardy...pandas can be trickier but still a very fine choice if your tank is already cycled. Cardinal tetras are good neighbors for anyone, never give problems.
Good luck! Your selections will make for a very lively community. :)

I love my cherry barbs... I also think the balance the tetras really nicely in that the tetras tend to stay in large groups while the three male cherry barbs have all sorta staked out a different part of the tank and then they proceed to chase each other all over the place... :D

Hi there!

Wow, 7 panda corys, I'm very jealous :)
It does look like a nice mix. I ended up also falling for Norman lamp eyes, they have a cool look all slender with the two blue headlights :)

And I found out that my small corys are so hectic they make the dwarf puffer back down... lovely busy guys.

Hum, one thing though, my guppies are with me for like 2 weeks now, and already 4 days after the purchase I noticed that one female was huge, by all internet standards she was very close to dropping. Yes, yesterday she had about 15 fry... that I could see, cause I got home late and I could find only 3 from the main tank, plus 12 she dropped later in the breeding tank. Afterwards some fry scaped the trap (beats me), so back to fishing a couple back from main tank, and finally after all adventures and securing the trap (pffff), I have 11.
So beware of the guppies!!! (Yeah yeah of course I'm very happy and proud)

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom