Moving tank. (scared muchly!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbuck

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all I am moving house and one of the things I have put off to last is moving the tank. It's 180 litres so not tiny. I haven't been into the hobby for too long and am quite apprehensive about the task ahead. Any advice for keeping fish stress levels to a minimum. My game plan is to catch fish drain water, remove gravel plants etc, move tank and everything. I an going to rinse gravel right out seeing as i have it out of tank. Then reinstate everything. I will be keeping around 35 litres of original water then using new water dosed with prime to fill back to top. I know that's a hell of a lot of new water and kind of worried about the fish when they go back in. I am however only moving literally 5 minutes down the road so I'm hoping water quality is very similar. Any advice greatly appreciated

I should mention there are just 10 guppys in there at the moment as we found out we were moving about a week after I started adding fish

Hey all I am moving house and one of the things I have put off to last is moving the tank. It's 180 litres so not tiny. I haven't been into the hobby for too long and am quite apprehensive about the task ahead. Any advice for keeping fish stress levels to a minimum. My game plan is to catch fish drain water, remove gravel plants etc, move tank and everything. I an going to rinse gravel right out seeing as i have it out of tank. Then reinstate everything. I will be keeping around 35 litres of original water then using new water dosed with prime to fill back to top. I know that's a hell of a lot of new water and kind of worried about the fish when they go back in. I am however only moving literally 5 minutes down the road so I'm hoping water quality is very similar. Any advice greatly appreciated

The only thing I would suggest is that you place the fish in a bucket of the existing tank water while you are tearing it down. That might help keep the stress level down more than putting them in new water during that period. Also obviously make sure the new water you put in is a close temperature match to the existing temp. Good luck.

I would also keep some of your existing water to rinse the gravel with. Theres probably enough bb in it to save this way so as not to cause you a mini cycle in the future.

Back
Top Bottom