Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fotopoulos

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why won't my mushrooms open? We bought a green hairy and a purple mushroom and they both have yet to open. The feather duster has found a home and and doing well and our golden polyps are opened up beautifully. So what's the deal with the mushrooms? Ira been 12 hours...maybe a bit more:(

Mushrooms are really finicky I have lots of lps and other corals but I have had more trouble with mushrooms than any other mine are always the last
Ones to open and sometimes they don't open at all and when I get new ones they take weeks to open

To much light maybe? I have mine placed vertical, they seem to do better and not a lot of water movement blasting them.

Thanks for both of your input. I am going to move them vertical...and try that out. Also, we did a home test and the levels were ok but brought it into the LFS and our pH was way too low. Bought some stuff so maybe they will perk up.

What's funny is they are supposed to be so easy but so is xenia but I know of people who have beautiful reefs who can't keep them alive for anything

I just sat up a nano and put a mushroom in that tank, it took three days before it would open, water was the same as the tank I took it out of, but lights are different and I had to move it vertical. Give it a few days......should open up.

Why is it that some people put one frag in a Fish only tank and in six months it's over run with shrooms and others want them and they don't grow lol

Haha no kidding. I assume this green hairy one is going to be a nightmare in 2 years! I am hoping the pH was the issue. If it's the lighting then I will have to find a spot lower without the powerhead on him...jeez. These guys are harder than they look!

Back
Top Bottom