my 3 year old son went noodling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4x4kayak2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My wife was changing our tank over to pfs and it looks great! But our biggest shubunkin, while in a holding bucket, was noodled out by our 3 year old. My wife said she had no clue how long he was out of the water. Our son is a big helper with everything and so he was just trying to help. Hes usally good about leaving the fish alone. But heres the promblem......after that happened the fish has been very lethargic, he swimming very slow if at all, near the top third of the tank. and every once in a while he swims very fast in a very weird directions. Usally at night all the fish go to the right corner and sleeps but he was still near the top. he isnt gasping for air. What should i do? Im afraid he got too hypoxic and might of suffered some trauma. Is there anything i can do?

What does that mean? Noodling? What did your kid do with the fish?

From the post I'm guessing that the child took the fish out of the water for a number of minutes. Now the fish isn't acting right. It could be shocked and stressed (after almost being suffocated I'd be stressed too) and might just need rest. Also try a water change and/or add an air stone if you don't haev one already. Keep the lights off and monitor it. Hopefully it'll be OK. Here's some info in case it is hypoxia:

Are Your Fish Really Suffering From Disease?

Haha, "noodling" a goldfish.

"Noodling" - A form of 'fishing' becoming popular in the southern US, where individuals capture large catfish by reaching into their caves barehanded and allowing the fish to bite their hands / feet - at which point the fish is 'reeled in' by grabbing inside their mouth and hauling them out.

As for your goldfish - I would just keep an eye on him in case he develops any illnesses. They are surprisingly resilient fish, but he may be weak enough to contract a secondary illness.

Aha! Hillbilly Handfishin'! Why didn't you just say that!?! :ROFLMAO:

I agree, fish are pretty resilient. Just observe over the next week or so and you'll know for sure if there are any problems. Soak the food in Garlic Guard to help boost the immune system.

Understand about the three year old. I have one too! He almost flipped a fish out of the tank when we were transferring them at the start of the summer. Our little fish was frantic for a while but after three days it calmed back down to normal. I agree with a PWC and observing. Fish are coddled in an aquarium most of the time, but in the wild they would go through much more and survive. Hopefully everything turns out well in a few days. good luck with the fish and your helper! My son helps me with tank maintenance and has learned a lot, now he points things out to me. They are quick learners and see more than we give them credit for.

Tonight hes acting about 90% himself....all is good! My son keeps telling everyone he caught fish with hand like on tv! Hes sooo cute!

LOL @ noodling!

What a coincidence - there was 2 fisherman on David Letterman last night talking about "noodling" large 100 pound catfish as a hobby!

Back
Top Bottom