My 46 Gallon Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin9009

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey there! Thought I would start a journal for my very first aquarium, a 46 gallon bowfront. I came across a great deal on the tank, stand, Aquaclear 110 power filter, and a bunch of decorations and random accessories, so I just went for it :)

After starting to research, I decided that I was going to do a fishless cycle. I got my 50 pounds of gravel, decorations, and water in the tank, and set up my filter and heater. I filled my tank with 100% RO water because my tap water is extremely hard (to the point of having calcium particles visibly floating in the water), has a pH of over 8, and contains both ammonia and nitrates. I dosed the water with API Tap Water Conditioner (just to be safe), and Seachem Replenish to replace the minerals and buffers that are not present in the RO water. I set the temp to 84, turned my filter up to high and hooked up my air pump to a bubbler (one of my decorations has an airstone on it and I like the look of the bubbles coming from it, so I figured a little extra aeration couldn't hurt). Dosed my tank to 4 ppm ammonia using Ace Brand Janitorial Ammonia using my handy dandy API Freshwater Master Test Kit (little did I know how well aquainted I was going to get with that kit...), and let the tank sit for 3 days before testing again. When I finally tested, my ammonia showed 2 ppm. I thought this was awesome, because it meant bacteria were eating the ammonia! Yay! (I now think that maybe I hadn't given the tank enough time to circulate the ammonia the first day.) Unfortunately there were no nitrites or nitrates, and the ammonia level didn't drop past 1.5 for over 2 weeks, at which point I seeded the tank with lava rocks, filter floss, and, (when neither of those had any effect) sponge filter mud from established tanks and re-dosed the tank to 4 ppm ammonia. It finally started showing a little progress following the addition of the sponge filter mud, with the ammonia visibly dropping. However nitrites still hadn't shown up! On a whim, having read other threads where people had missed a nitrite spike when they seeded their tank, I tested for nitrates when my ammonia had dropped to around 2 ppm. AND THERE THEY WERE! I had around 5 ppm nitrates! That was 6 days ago, and my ammonia has been steadily dropping and nitrates are rising.

Here we are, 6 weeks after I started my fishless cycle, and my tank is still sitting there empty, but at least now it is showing visible progress. When I tested my tank tonight, my ammonia was down to between 0 and 0.25 and my nitrates were up to between 20 and 40 ppm (closer to 40 ppm). Hoping the ammonia drops to 0 tomorrow so I can re-dose it up to 2 and see how long it takes for that to disappear. With any luck (which I haven't had much of so far -_-) I will be doing a large water change and shopping for the first set of my stocking list soon!

My planned stocking list is 1 angelfish, 4 African dwarf frogs (which I will be keeping a close eye on to make sure they can make it to the surface, if they seem to have ANY trouble at all, I will be moving them to a spare tank I have on hand-I have both a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon on hand; they'd pry get the 20 gallon haha), 3 sunset platies, 3 blue platies, 3 dalmation mollies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras, and 1 German Blue Ram (which will be added in a few months when the tank is well established).

The tank is decorated with 50 pounds of gravel, an awesome ship wreck, a scuba diver (both of those bubble), and some fake plants (didn't feel confident enough to do a planted tank right away-maybe in the future!). Marinland Eclipse 36 inch F30T8 bulb.

In my filter, I have the aquaclear foam insert, 2 bags of biomax media, some lava rocks from a lfs, and tons of filter floss. I am currently toying with the idea of getting a sponge filter to run in the tank as well, mostly to have a cycled filter to put in a tank as needed, whether that's a QT tank (sterilizing after the QT of course) or to seed my next tank (because multiple tank syndrome is already starting!)

Fingers crossed; I tested ammonia and it was 0 tonight! Nitrites were also 0, nitrates were somewhere between 20 & 40 ppm. Re-dosed the tank with ammonia to 2 ppm, and hoping it's gone tomorrow night!!

Tank is on track to be 0ppm. Treated ammonia 12 hours after dosing to 2ppm and it tested at 1ppm, which is on track to be 0 after 24 hours :)

Aaannnddd...it's CYCLED! 24 hours after dosing 2 ppm ammonia, the ammonia is 0, nitrItes are 0, and nitrAtes are around 30 ppm. Lowered temp, performed pwc to drop nitrAtes below 20, and will test in the morning to ensure nothing wacky happens, then I will be going to the fish store for my first group of fish tomorrow after work :-D

A picture of my decorated tank before fish is attached to this post :)

Attachments

• 2013-08-06 15.57.20.jpg
    2013-08-06 15.57.20.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 157
Congratulations on having the patience to wait fornthe full cycle. How come you aren't going to do a second PWC to get the nitrates lower? I like to keep them near zero. Just curious.

My pwc dropped them to below 10, and I will be getting some Brazilian pennywort to float in the tank soon so that will keep them lower as well. It was definitely worth the patience to see my fish happy now :) right now I have my dalmatian mollies, my blue and my sunset platies, and some of my cherry barbs and harlequin rasboras. Going to get the rest of those tomorrow (store didn't have enough for my shoals of 9 each)

Make sure you're getting dwarf frogs and not any kind of clawed frog. I heard they get big and quite predatory.

Back
Top Bottom