My betta has had fin rot for a full year? Please help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kayladc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I bought a male Betta from the pet store in October of 2013th (yes, a full year ago), and the poor guy has had fin rot since then.
Over the year I have had him, I have used Furan 2, Erythromycin, salt treatments, General Cure, Maracyn Plus, Betta Fix, Tetracycline, and Jungle Fungus Clear.
His fins have never looked good, but every month or so they just start to look really badly again.
At this point, I am absolutely clueless as what to do. He's always had an appetite and always been happy to see me, but his body always looks rough.
Can ANYONE give me any ideas as to how to fix him? If he had fin rot, medicine should've made him better, but since he mostly doesn't get better or worse, I don't know what's wrong with him or how to help him. Please help me help Midnight.

He lives alone, in a heated, properly filtered, 80 degree, 10 gallon tank, which was cycled prior to his arrival.
The pH is a steady 7.6
Ammonia and Nitrite always 0ppm
Nitrates never above 5ppm.

Reminder: He has looked this way for almost a full year now.

Also, he was completely blue when I got him, but the redness showed up about a month after he was with me. I don't know if it's his natural coloring or if the redness is sickness/blood streaks.

Attachments

• 20141008_005724.jpg
    20141008_005724.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20141008_010158.jpg
    20141008_010158.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 92
  • 20141008_010240.jpg
    20141008_010240.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 103
hey i dont have a lot to offer on this one....i know you said your numbers are always good. you also said it seems to get worse every month or so.

that had me wondering...are you perhaps doing very large cleanups every month or so? cleaning out the filter etc? if so, perhaps you are having monthly mini cycles and he is not having time to heal?

that is my only theory, and i wish i could offer more help to you.

Betta's (like many other fish) will start showing more vibrant colours if they are happy and healthy. Also what you are feeding them has a huge impact on their colour.

As for his fins... I'm confused. I cannot see any horrible signs of rot. I just see beautiful red and blue colouring... Where are the fins rotting? Do they always stay long? Or do they rot away towards the body? Does he still eat? And is he active?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree he looks fine.

I really like using salt with bettas, just API freshwater salt in the dose recommended on the box. Some say it's an old wives tale but mine seem healthier with it. Transition gradually.

Are there any other causes of stress? do you change water often? Does he have hiding places?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The red on his fins is just normal color. His fins look fine. Look up Fin Rot to see what it really looks like.

I don't ever advice using salt with Bettas, esp not in small tanks. Its easy to oversalt a tank.

Weekly water changes. Plenty of live or silk plants for resting on. And buy some Indian Almond leaves, they are very beneficial. Many breeders use them.

Test your water and feed him a deshelled Green Pea once a week or fast him one day a week.

My Bettas average about a 5yr lifespan. I've had Bettas off and on for 30yrs or so.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom