My Black skirt tetras are shaking , not eating and the water has turned murky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grambo89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
A few days ago I noticed that my Black skirts were acting funny and scared of the aquarium light. i then noticed that they were not eating and the water began to turn murky. The water PH is 7.2, nitrates 0 , and Ammonia 0. I have ^ of them in a 10 gallon tank with a whisperer 10i filter and a 50 watt heater. The temperature is 24 degrees C. The fist thing that came to mind for me was Ich but im not quite sure any advice would be great thanks.

Any time I am not sure of what is happening, I will do a partial water change.

Hopefully some one who knows more about this exact thing who has experience.

Make sure you never rinse the filter media/pad in tap water, and don't replace it until it is falling apart, since it stores beneficial bacteria.

I am wondering about parasites. Look for any worms/ holes on the bodies and in the vent where they poop, and gills.

Murky blackish or murky green or whitish? (water appx 75F degrees )

Alright well theres no holes or parasites so ill do a partial water change and see what happens

Did you test your nitrites? Also did you cycle the tank and how? Also what are you using to test your water strips or liquid kits?

I have zero nitrates use a liquid test kit and have cycled the tank

Grambo89 said:
Nitrites Nitrate
What about your NITRITES though not TRATES. But how do you have zero nitrates, is you tank really heavily planted? Nitrates are almost always present in an aquarium, sometimes people even dose nitrates for their plants. And how did you cycle the tank? Fish in, fishless with ammonia source, or just set up the tank? It could just be a bacteria bloom but I can't say without the answers to my questions. Are you sure your testing properly? You need to really shake the bottle in order to get all the crystals broken up inside. Since you don't have any trates I'm am going to say your tank might still be cycling because you should have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and like 5-25 nitrates.

Since you didnt reply I think it's still cycling I'm going to say bacteria bloom from your fish in cycle.

But are you sure you kits isn't broken now apparently you have two cycled tanks with 0 nitrates. Are you getting nitrites and nitrates mixed up?

Grambo89 said:

How did you do this exactly with an ammonia source?

Back
Top Bottom