My Clownfish are fighting!!!??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TSkip84

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pair of fancy snowflake clowns that I bought roughly 4 weeks ago. They seemed fine until last week. The larger one (female?) started charging at the smaller one and now the smaller one just sits in the corner of the tank. If he moves the larger one chases it around. Any suggestions?

I had the same issue with my mated pair of black percula clowns. My female did the same thing and the male did the same thing. My male ended up dieing. I was devastated. Some clowns will be territorial for no apparent reason. Is she defending anything? My clowns now defend their anemone with their life. They rip my are apart when I work in the tank. I would suggest adding a few more clowns if possible. I like to keep schools of clowns and am working on building my school now. With schools you have few to no territory issues. On the other hand I have six anemones and five of which are host to the clowns and they all use them. Do you have an anemone? I highly suggest you get one if you do not have one. A bubble tip is a great start if you do not have an anemone. Can you separate them somehow? Do you have a separate tank you can put the female in? Make sure if you remove one from the main tank, take the dominant one out. Let the one that gets terrorized stay in the tank and establish a territory and then add the dominant one back in. If they were a mated pair I don't think you would have this issue. But then again my mated pair separated. Each pair is so unique. Try separating and go from there.

I have two rbta's right next to each other. They both used to sit in em all day long. Now it's just the female in the anemones. I don't have another tank but I'm thinking I will set up a smaller tank for awhile to get the female out of there

My female doesn't let the male into the nem either, he has to sit at the back. She bosses him around which is normal behavior but doesn't cause him harm, not visibly anyway. I believed this to be normal with a mated pair as long as their is no damage.

I have a pair of fancy snowflake clowns that I bought roughly 4 weeks ago. They seemed fine until last week. The larger one (female?) started charging at the smaller one and now the smaller one just sits in the corner of the tank. If he moves the larger one chases it around. Any suggestions?

Make a few small caves that he can fit into BUT she cant it will give him a place to go and help reduce stress for both. put the female in a QT for a week it will give the male time to find the caves

So I finally got to pulling my female clownfish out and put her in a separate 10 gallon aquarium. How long should I wait to put her back in the display tank and what should I be on the lookout for?

give the male 7-10 days to get settled then put the female back there will be some fighting but it shouldnt be as bad If you can place the 10 gal close to your main so they can see each other it will help ease things between them

Back
Top Bottom