My favorite freshwater fish (Geo tapajos)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been keeping them for a few months now, setup my tank as a biotope. They are still young and will be about a year till they are fully colored up.

I love these fish, super interesting to watch. See for yourself :)

https://youtu.be/hQgd9sgie4s

What's your number one freshwater fish?

Beautiful fish. When those things start growing I don't see that nice planted tank remaining nice and planted;) don't call them earth eaters for nothing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

None of the plants are in the substrate

Everything is attached to a rock or wood and off the ground :)

Got it covered.

You've never seen spawning behavior huh?

Not yet but they are still very young. I am sure it will come with a bit of time. Geos grow slowly like Cory's.

Oh. Setting up a 55 sometime soon and I was hoping lol. Maybe one day.

How are they with other South American cichlids?

I would keep thing with other geos oy just with them and a dither. But they have been kept fine with other SA cichlids

They can hit 9-10". A 6' tank is ideal. 75 is pushing it imo

Do you think these fish would work well in an African hap/peacock tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know very little about Africans but I imagine they prefer hard water while geos would prefer soft water.

Do you know the Gh/Kh that your geos prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well based on my.research they like 5.5-7ph and 2-7kh. Soft water.

My parameters are nuetral, borderline soft. I have lots of driftwood which helps.

They will not work with Africans and the can and will grow larger than 6".

Last edited:
Philipraposo198, beautiful fish! As far as max size, I've read various sizes for this particular fish. Some people claim max is only 5", while others claim up to 10". Either way, it will ultimately depend on your particular fish. Everyone claims a 55g os big enough for a single pair, but a 120g is recommended for spawning or communities.

Good luck! Hope to see more footage once they color up more! :)

More footage will come, I promise.

While people claim 10", o have never seen a video or picture that shows one remotely close to even 8 inches of fish. But time will tell.

Any pics of a 10" redhead or video? If they are in the hobby I am sure it's documented somewhere. I would love to see it!!

My lfs had a troop, they were in the 6-7" range for sure. Beautiful. If I ever set up a larger tank they'd be a tiny runner. I have something pretty close atm, he gill filters sand and acts like a punk.

Attachments

• 1458566743319.jpg
    1458566743319.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom