My first DIY fert attempt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MINIMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
So about 2-1/2 weeks ago I ran out of a lot of ferts and decided that I wanted to rescape anyway. So I found some ideas and decided to give it a try on my 55g tank. Figured why not with the amount of extra plants I have, I mean if it kills the plants I can start over with the other stuff I have and chalk it up to trial by error.

To say the least, the results have been fantasic. I nearly have to trim something every day when I get home. I have no more green spot algae showing up, and all of that annoying glass algae has vanished. The fish look healthier than ever too. I had one angel that had a pretty bad fight at the lfs before I got him 3 months ago and his top fin was always looking bad, not infected, but bad. It disappeared and healed over completely about a week into this method. I had a few plants that never looked good from the day I got them nearly double in size and are the color they were meant to be. The plants that were already in good health are growing almost at a nusiance rate. My PH is holding rather than fluctuating so much on the pressurized co2. I also noticed 4 gravid cherries last night, so apparently the water has helped them as well too.

Best part about all of this is I spent $16 ish for everything, and judging by how much I got of each thing, I will probally be good for a year on everything, and some for more than that. So yea a little more than a bottle of Flourish to get everything I needed. I will put the list of what I bought below as well as my dosing regimen. By no means am I saying this will work for everybody, but figured somebody would be able to benefit from it. I am also not a biologist or chemist. I am just extremely cheap, and anything that can save me a penny will be tried lol.

Spectracide Stump Remover $7.98 Lowes
Equate Enema $2.24 Walmart (same as Fleet Brand)
Epsom Salt $1.97 Walmart
Morton Salt Substitute $2.74 Walmart

Attachments

• dsecalcp.PNG
    dsecalcp.PNG
    14.9 KB · Views: 69
When I was first setting up my planted aquarium I went the same route as you. Then I found the fertilizer package from Green leaf aquariums. It made my life much easier.

I am sticking with this for now, honestly takes like 15 seconds per day. I did think about that package though.

I am sticking with this for now, honestly takes like 15 seconds per day. I did think about that package though.

That's about how much time it takes to dose EI or PPS Pro. Mix it and pour a measured amount in the aquarium every day. It's not difficult by any means.

What are you using for trace elements?

I am still using seachem trace right now until I figure out another way. But i have about 30oz left so i have time haha.

Back
Top Bottom